Cutting rays stingers

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
So I've lost a 28" clown knife to a stinger to the jaw that broke off last year. And the other night I lost a 16" indo dat from another stingray encounter. I want to cut the stingers off as I'm nervous this will happen again. Incidents happened with 2 different rays. Can I get some experienced ray keepers advice on this. I really don't want to sell the rays but I'm at the point where I might.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Yup pull the ray out, and clip the stinger.

I grab the stinger with a big pair of needle nose pliers and cut with a good pair of tin snips.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Rays stinging other fish is very very rare

If it's with 2 different rays I would look at the reason why this is happening

Not feeding enough or the tank depth is to shallow

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Rays stinging other fish is very very rare

If it's with 2 different rays I would look at the reason why this is happening
Not feeding enough or the tank depth is to shallow

The first time it happened during feeding. With the clown knife. My fish are all very aggressive during feedings. The dat from the other night I think was accidental. I saw it happen. My big Motoro likes to glide across the top in the evening. And the dat kind of swam right into the ray. Tank is a 10x4x30" tall. They eat every other day

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
No wonder this is happening - they should all be well fed. A feeding frenzy is fun to watch, but as you see, it causes deaths with rays.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
So I pulled the 3 rays out and snipped the barbs down hardest part was getting them out of the tank. I used needle nose pliers to hold the barb and a small wire cutter to snip them back. I netted one ray at a time and put them in Rubbermaid with a shallow amount of tank water so it was easy to work on them. Hopefully I can sleep easier knowing that they can't kill another fish. As far as feeding they do eat a large amount every other day consisting of tilapia fillet shrimp or NLS pellets so I don't think they are starving . keep in mind the smallest tankmates are 16" and the largest 30" so they are far from gentle when it comes to eating

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
The first time it happened during feeding. With the clown knife. My fish are all very aggressive during feedings. The dat from the other night I think was accidental. I saw it happen. My big Motoro likes to glide across the top in the evening. And the dat kind of swam right into the ray. Tank is a 10x4x30" tall. They eat every other day
That's the problem right there you need to feed more I feed twice per day and never had any fish stung

Pulled down and killed yes by chew the heads off yes but never stung

Stinging is very rare like I said

Your fish are aggressive at feeding time because it's every other day

If you start cutting the sting because a fish gets stung what will you do if the ray chews a fish stick the mouth shut

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Ya I'm sure that's what he'll do!! Man you are a piece a work T1! Just give some normal advice once in awhile instead of being so fricking negative. Too bad bad we are not all as good as you. Sheesh. Read a lot of responses and not a whole lot of help. Just like to be mean I guess. Guess what... No one thinks your cool cause of that. If you got help give it! If you don't ... You know

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store