Rescued Fish?

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Does anyone here have any rescue fish? I'm not sure if that's an actual thing, but I did have a couple way back when. For those of you that missed my introductory post, I once had a tiger oscar that I rescued from a bad situation. He was located in a classroom and the kids were just horrible with him. His tank was filthy, and kids would routinely put chunks of soap in the water, they would also chase and poke him with their pencils. I'm not sure how he survived, but the teacher was going to kill him because he kept eating all the other fish that were put in the tank, so I took him in. My previous experience with fish was basically just goldfish and betta, so I knew nothing of this species. He started off in a 20 gallon that was way too small for him, and within a few weeks I purchased a 75 gallon. He was pretty old when I got him, about 8, and I had him for another 2-3 years before he passed. He was such an entertaining fish, he would follow me around the room from inside his tank, and would interact with me. I mourned when he died like I've mourned for past cats.

My betta before him was a rescue as well, the owner was going to flush him because she wanted other fish instead, so I took him. What are your experiences with rescued fish?

JK Monster Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
socal
There was a free little red zebra cichlid at petco.....now he's the king of the tank who steals all the food o..o

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Went to petsmart the one day to see one senegal bichir being bullied by about 20 bala sharks twice his size. I considered that purchase a rescue because i was not planning on buying a fish that day at all lol

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
Have a banded leporinus that I got at my lfs that was a trade in. He was about 6 inches and his scales were all damaged and fins were shredded. He is a very happy guy and I love him

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
I've rescued many fish in the line of duty. Right now, on hand, I have two butterkoferi a male and a female in separate tanks, a giant golden barb (things gotta weigh like 15 lbs.) two firemouths that are turning out gorgeous and I think pairing off (I hope), a beautiful angel with long blue trailers, some Cory cats a sengal birchir, and I'm sure others... I comes with the territory and having so many large tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joelypops

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2012
Rochester, Kent, UK
I had a few rescues a while ago. My sister volunteers at a wildlife rescue centre and they had a call about an abandoned house that had fish left in it. They went and found pangasius, 2 big plecos, Senegal bichir, and about 20 cichlids. I got the call asking if I could look after the bigger ones and maybe try to re hone them etc. Also got a nice 12" Oscar that was kept in a 18" tank for over a year. Then couple weeks ago I picked up a syno that was being bullied and had lost all his barbs and a shredded tail

Sent from my HTC One X

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store