Chinese Root tab Capsules

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
Sorry that last reply was kind of useless...

Anyways, if they are just osmocote put in a gel capsule they work great. I personally use the osmocote diy root tabs in my tank. You just have to be sure that none of the capsules break above the gravel because you will get an algea bloom and be wondering how it happened. You can go to your local home depot or Lowe's and buy a bottle of osmocote for about $8 and then go to vitamin shop and get the capsules for $4 for a hundred. The osmocote bottle itself will last like a lifetime so every time you run out of your root tabs its only $4 to make another hundred.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Sorry that last reply was kind of useless...

Anyways, if they are just osmocote put in a gel capsule they work great. I personally use the osmocote diy root tabs in my tank. You just have to be sure that none of the capsules break above the gravel because you will get an algea bloom and be wondering how it happened. You can go to your local home depot or Lowe's and buy a bottle of osmocote for about $8 and then go to vitamin shop and get the capsules for $4 for a hundred. The osmocote bottle itself will last like a lifetime so every time you run out of your root tabs its only $4 to make another hundred.

no worries, interesting. I've found this on one of our home improvement stores:
smartcote.jpg

Specs says only releases ferts when plants need it. They also have fast release ones but I will opt to get this one instead (the fast release ones have a higher nutrient ratio of 20-20-20).

For containers, I'll try to find out if I can instead find a small enough pvc-made(or bpa free) container so that instead of burning out gel capsules all the time, I can just dig-and-reload.

Thanks for the info in regards to osmocotes as this will save me a lot of $$$ for plant maintenance

smartcote.jpg

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
No problem. I've never heard of that brand before but as long as it doesn't have toxic chemicals in it your good to go. Just remember to really bury them things and not to let them release their nutrients into the water column.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store