bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Well My momma ray is messed up.
I have no idea what happened.

360 gallon tank.
Driftwood across the back. But I just pulled it all out.
Sand bottom

1 Female Motoro (19" across)
1 Male Motoro (half her size)
3 P-Bass
1 Gar
1 Large Dat
1 Shovelnose hybrid
4 Large Loaches

Cant get to heaters
Doesn't look like a burn, looks like skin was ripped off

Any Ideas how it could have happened and how to treat her.
Im thinking it may have been the drift wood. She might have gotten behind it some how and got trapped.
Dad ray has been messing with her trying to mate, so she might have been trying to get away.
Never had this happen, so this is new to me....

Moved as much sand back as I could to give her the front area to swim without sand...

momma.JPG
momma 2.JPG

momma.JPG

momma 2.JPG

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Ouch, was there any edges on the driftwood that she could have got caught on to rip the flesh back. Also was the piece still in the tank. Cant say I have seen any damage on the bottom from another ray.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Ya, don't think the male ray did it. I just think he was trying to mate and she was trying to get away and may have gotten somehow damaged herself on the driftwood.
No rough edges or sharp edges on the drift wood. The wood was in there when it happened. I just now pulled it out to help her no have any more issues. Working on a divider now to keep all the fish and male ray away from her for awhile. Esp the cat fish. Cat never seems to stop swimming over her now and I don't want her to have the added stress.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Meant was the piece of flesh still in there? It almost looks like it peeled from the middle toward the edge but hard to tell on the cell. Can you tell which direction it started from?

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Meant was the piece of flesh still in there? It almost looks like it peeled from the middle toward the edge but hard to tell on the cell. Can you tell which direction it started from?
Ya I agree. Does look like its started in the middle and peeled outward.
I didn't find the piece of flesh.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
She is divided now. She is moving around a lot. So I guess since she is still active, that is a good thing.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Had a similar thing happen to my male - just not as big. It looked like my female stung him in the belly and then ripped the stinger out taking a chunk out of his belly. It didn't rip to the edge of the disk like your female did. It happend a few weeks ago and he still has a chunck missing in his belly with some red still showing through. I'll upload pics tonight if you want for comparision (not trying to steal the thread).

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Had a similar thing happen to my male - just not as big. It looked like my female stung him in the belly and then ripped the stinger out taking a chunk out of his belly. It didn't rip to the edge of the disk like your female did. It happend a few weeks ago and he still has a chunck missing in his belly with some red still showing through. I'll upload pics tonight if you want for comparision (not trying to steal the thread).
Any help or advice is wanted. She is my baby and if looking at past pics of people having close to the same issue helps, its not stealing the thread. I welcome any help, advice and past exp are welcome.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I think your theory sounds right - she snagged the wood on her belly and it ripped outward... I would add some salt too and make sure the water is pristine. It doesn't look like she pierced any organs or anything, should heal up OK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store