My failed attempt at a dirted tank

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I want to go planted and try a dirted tank. This was the end result. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1392095047.427669.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I put a sponge filter in to help agitate the soil that's floating hopefully it settles down by morning. Trying to figure out what I did wrong

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I'm far from being an expert with dirted tanks, but I would guess a combination of things went wrong.
I'm a noob with plants period. But I know my first mistake was putting the soil in with alittle water still in the tank and probably not enough sand.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
That is 100% normal for a dirt tank. It takes weeks or months to get it looking good. First, do near 100% water changes until you can see through it. Then, mech filter it to death and rinse those pads every time they clog, which will be every ten minutes for awhile. The rest can be found on blogs and posts all over the web.

*oh, definitely bury the dirt with more sand right away, but rinse the sand first.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
That is 100% normal for a dirt tank. It takes weeks or months to get it looking good. First, do near 100% water changes until you can see through it. Then, mech filter it to death and rinse those pads every time they clog, which will be every ten minutes for awhile. The rest can be found on blogs and posts all over the web.

*oh, definitely bury the dirt with more sand right away, but rinse the sand first.
I've NEVER had anything this bad when dirting a tank. It really only takes a day to have it be clear, provided you take it slow and do not upset the sand cap and let dirt out from underneath.

When dirting a tank, I always try and have at least as much, if not more, of the cap above the organic potting mix I use for dirt. The tank also has to have no standing water in it while putting dirt into the tank, as all water will do with straight dirt is make mud. I then put the sand on top, and then put a plate or something into the tank, and slowly pour water onto the plate so that the cap covering the soil isn't disturbed, I keep adding water slowly like this until at least half the tank is filled with water. My water at this point is still as clear as it is coming out of the tap. I then remove the plate, still slowly add water, until the tank is filled....I NEVER have muck like this, and you really shouldn't be having anything this bad to begin with.

With a tank that messy, you will have loads of nutrient spikes, and unless you have a heavy plant load, I wouldn't be adding fish to that anytime in the near future. Floaters help immensely in sucking up all the excess nutrients you most definitely have.

Something to know for the future as well, I always try and fully plant a tank right after I add the substrate....sometimes even while I'm slowly filling up with water, because you want as much plant mass as possible from day 1.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I hope your tank settles ~ this is why dirted tanks scare me....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I've NEVER had anything this bad when dirting a tank. It really only takes a day to have it be clear, provided you take it slow and do not upset the sand cap and let dirt out from underneath.

When dirting a tank, I always try and have at least as much, if not more, of the cap above the organic potting mix I use for dirt. The tank also has to have no standing water in it while putting dirt into the tank, as all water will do with straight dirt is make mud. I then put the sand on top, and then put a plate or something into the tank, and slowly pour water onto the plate so that the cap covering the soil isn't disturbed, I keep adding water slowly like this until at least half the tank is filled with water. My water at this point is still as clear as it is coming out of the tap. I then remove the plate, still slowly add water, until the tank is filled....I NEVER have muck like this, and you really shouldn't be having anything this bad to begin with.

With a tank that messy, you will have loads of nutrient spikes, and unless you have a heavy plant load, I wouldn't be adding fish to that anytime in the near future. Floaters help immensely in sucking up all the excess nutrients you most definitely have.

Something to know for the future as well, I always try and fully plant a tank right after I add the substrate....sometimes even while I'm slowly filling up with water, because you want as much plant mass as possible from day 1.
Well I'm going to redo everything once I get some more gravel or sand. I'll probably drain it completely and do it as you said so every thing is done right. I don't want my fish living in a five gallon bucket for weeks or months. I might throw my big pothos in to soak up those spikes since I only have two Anubis plants will likely not do much.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I hope your tank settles ~ this is why dirted tanks scare me....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I think if it's done right it's not that difficult. This is a first for me but from what I could see is it settling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store