Indo Dat aggression. Help!

frankie808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pakistan
Hello again, i was planning to get some dats, and i got 3 indos about five days ago about 2 inches long (30 gallon tank). They seemed to be very active and curious. 2 of them seemed to be stable due to bright stripes while one seemed to be unstable due to dull stripes. The unstable one is the most active and chased the other 2. A few minutes ago while i was looking at them, the unstable one chased the other and hit him, and in like two seconds the dat being chased started to swim in circles like fish do when they have that bladder infection, it was weird and in instant he died, no breathing what so ever. Now hes chasing the other, why is this happening? although there are many hiding places. Should i separate them?
Thanks

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Yes.. Indos are very aggressive and the supposed rule to make sure you have no deaths due to aggression is to have one or add 5 at once

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Definitely, the fact that you had 3 to start with should have split some of the aggression but it appears it can't associate with others. I had one that harassed my dorados to no end. Not worth it.

frankie808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pakistan
Bad luck maybe and they were the only ones left at the lfs. I will separate them for the time being. Is it possible if i add any other fish that can help reduce aggression? any cichlid perhaps?

Skeletal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2014
Long Island, New York
Like somebody else already said, I find that when it comes to keeping Indo Datnoids you either have just one or get a whole bunch. Otherwise they will just harass the living hell out of one another.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store