getting my little jardini onto pellets !!!!!

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
My baby jar keeps spitting all types of pellet as they do , ive been crushing them and seasoning bit of prawn with them to get him used to the taste he eats them fine
Was just wondering if I was to put the pellets into a box of meal or wax worms would they eat them ? Then I can feed those to my jar , bit of a mad idea just wondering if it'll work ??????

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Not sure if the mealworms will work as I've never used them, crickets eat the pellets and jars love them but they escape if your tanks not very well sealed lol I have always just used hikari floating sticks and not offered anything else, I have never had to wait more than a week before they take them, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Thanks my old jardini hammered hikari floaters and I know I can prob get this new one onto them if I stave it a bit , but its a bit small still and I want to get a bit of weight on him before I do that tactic :)

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Not sure on this, but have heard that the nutrients transfer is only like 5-10% when gut loading feeders

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
He should be fine for a week or 2 even if really small but if your worried about doing that then I would stuff some hikari carnivore pellets into some prawn or fish over feeding bugs. My old 1 did seem to have a growth spurt what I fed him crickets twice a week tho :)

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
My old jar had growth spurts once fed live also but then later became fussy with pellets for a year or so , I had him for six years and it took me at least two of them to get him on hikari carni sticks :D
Think im going to continue with the variety in his diet untill it gets to about 10" then starve him onto pellets, atm he eats pretty much anything besides pellet I think there a bit hard for him to break up , so hes on bloodworm , beefheart , prawns , worms and muscles for im just going to soak or add pellet where I can

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
My old jar had growth spurts once fed live also but then later became fussy with pellets for a year or so , I had him for six years and it took me at least two of them to get him on hikari carni sticks :D
Think im going to continue with the variety in his diet untill it gets to about 10" then starve him onto pellets, atm he eats pretty much anything besides pellet I think there a bit hard for him to break up , so hes on bloodworm , beefheart , prawns , worms and muscles for im just going to soak or add pellet where I can
Yea there will be no harm as long as you keep it varied, can't wait to see updates in a couple of months :) how is he with tolerating tank mates ATM?

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
I found that sticks work better than pellets for my old jardini. I used TetraCichlid Sticks on him.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Trained him on the sticks first, then transition it to pellets

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Yea there will be no harm as long as you keep it varied, can't wait to see updates in a couple of months :) how is he with tolerating tank mates ATM?

atm not good hes killed three tinfoil barbs that were twice its size they were in there to help cycle my growout tank before i had chance to move them he'd chased them to death within a week , now hes only in with a 3/4" irwini cat
My jars about 6/7" atm not sure what to try grow him with yet any ideas ???? My last jardini killed and ate loads of tankmates over the years i had him so hoping ill have better luck this time , he did however end up with a jag and a few cats irwini Niger etc
The plan with this new one is try grow it up with at least one fish other than cats to get in socialized before he goes in my main tank with cichlids , ray and cats (or at least try but im not getting my hopes up i know what jars are like and am expecting aggression)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store