Tsunami aquariums

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
Any one have a tank from Fish Tanks Direct? Thinking on buying a 400g from them. What's your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
There are several threads about the venor and the brand on here. The reviews are kind of mixed. You might want to use the search near the top right of the page to find them.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I got my 300 tenecor tank 7years ago and everything has gone great. Not sure about today, but 7years ago they had great customer service. I will prob look to them again in the future

bro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Fresno, CA
Tenecor is out of business. They also stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from their customers before they Abruptly closed their doors overnight. I am included in the people that lost money. They offered me a huge discount on a 500 gallon tank if I would prepay most of the invoice upfront.

Since they had built a 240 gallon for me a couple years before, I was confident that I would be okay to prepay. After quite a few delays and broken promises, I got the owner on the phone and told him that I was concerned about the health and viability of their company based on the lies they had been telling me.

He assured me that the company was in good shape, and only delayed because they had so much business. Within 72 hours of that phone call, my salesman called me from his personal cell phone and told me that he got an email from the owner overnight saying the company was out of business.

I had prepaid $7000 of my $10,000 order for a custom 10 foot long tank, stand, canopy, filtration etc. etc. etc.

After several months of fighting, American Express was able to get most of my money reimbursed from their fraud department. The owner never paid a dime. The salesman told me that the owner had offered bonuses to employees who could get large down payments on orders, and to offer huge discounts in order to do so. He told me one guy alone had prepaid $25,000 by check, and therefore had no recourse against a credit card company. Since the owner filed bankruptcy, no criminal charges could be pressed.

Obviously the owner had this scheme planned for quite a while.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I called fish tanks direct for quotes on a new tank. They are a middle man. I talked to the builder himself for a long time. Out of the 4 places I called , I had the most confidence in having him build my tank. Prices were good and he would build it exactly the way I wanted where the other companies I called were trying to talk me out of certain things. They have a good track record and years of experience under their belt. My current tank is a tenecor which I was told at the end of their time, was using solvent based adhesive which is no good compared to a 2 part epoxy that should be used to make seams indestructible

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
care to share who the builder might be? also considering a new tank from fishtankdirect.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Any one have a tank from Fish Tanks Direct? Thinking on buying a 400g from them. What's your experience?

Doviiman has a 800 gallon tank from Fishtanks Direct made by Suncoast Aquariums. I believe he is happy with his tank. You could PM him.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...onster-822-gallon-(ext)-aquarium-build-thread

I also have a tank through Fishtanks Direct that was apparently built by Suncoast Aquariums. I have never been able to contact Suncoast since I got the tank. Four years ago, Fishtanks Direct was located in Arizona. They are now located in Florida. I suspect that Tsunami may be their company...

My experience with Fishtanks Direct was not a positive one. My tank is beautiful, but my experience with the salesman was not good. Doviiman dealt with him initially, but was told that the salesman is no longer with the company. That is a good thing for the company. I feel that I was lied to and deceived by omission. He initially gave me quotes for Tenecor tanks of different sizes. He then called a few days later and said he could get me the tank I wanted at a discounted rate with discounted shipping if the top was made with two pieces of acrylic fused together. It was here on MFK that a Tenecor person said they had no record of a tank being built for me. When I looked at the new quote sheet again, "Tenecor" was missing. The name of the new company was not on the quote. I had ONLY discussed Tenecor tanks with the salesman. In restropect, it was a good thing, as that was when Tenecor was going down. After five or six months I finally got the tank. I was HORRIFIED to discover that the bottom and back walls were also constructed out of two pieces of acrylic....NOT GOOD when the plan was to go bare floor. When confronted, the salesman cavalierly said, "The substrate will hide the seam." I had agreed to a seam in the top panel, nothing else. After the fact, when I reread the sales contract it said the front panel would be one piece. I guess I was supposed to deduce that every other part of the tank could be constructed from however many pieces of acrylic they felt like using. When I got the tank, instead of being excited and happy, I was sick to my stomach. I believe I was lied to by omission. There are many new cars that cost a lot less than what I paid for the tank. To have paid as much money as I did, and be tricked and deceived is a heart sickening experience.

Beware of that "Lifetime Warranty". After three years, you will not get much if something goes wrong with the tank. It has been more than three years since we got the tank, and it is not set up yet. If there is a problem with the tank when we finally are able to fill it up, I will have thrown away a lot of money as the lifetime warranty is already totally worthless.

The only good news for any one considering Fishtanks Direct, is that the salesman I dealt with is gone.

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
Thank Pacu mom, thanks for the information, I guess I better call them and talk to someone instead of placing order online and I don't like to have the built-in overflow so maybe they can do some modifications..

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Thank Pacu mom, thanks for the information, I guess I better call them and talk to someone instead of placing order online and I don't like to have the built-in overflow so maybe they can do some modifications..
I'm sure they can build anything that you want. Aside from being deceived about the bottom and back being fused panels, everything else was done according to my wishes....like the eleven extra holes on the top of the tank. As far as fused acrylic panels, it is a non-issue for tanks 12' or less in length.

Which brings me to another thing for people to consider when buying a large tank. The cost of a 10' tank versus a 12' tank is not significant. The cost shoots up after 12'. So if you are considering a 10' tank, check out the price of a 12' tank. Acrylic comes in 12' panels. So for a 10' tank, they are going to just cut off 2' of acrylic. After 12' the price goes up exponentially as they have to use a larger piece of acrylic.

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
Well I did order a tank from them, a 96" x 36"x30". The first one showed up a month ago and looked beautiful minus the shipping companies addition to a corner. FTD immediately took care of it and I should have a replacement shortly as it ships out next week. It's been slower than I wanted, but so far the customer service has been good. I realize stuff happens when it is shipped across the country.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store