Glass petruding from my fish anus .

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
A few days ago some glass fell into my tank . I thought I removed it all but one of my paratilapia seems to have a shard petruding from its anus .... im not sure at this moment if it ate it or caught it in the substrate. Any suggestions would be helpful I am really lost at this point . It is my favorite fish and im not sure if I should catch it and see if I can remove it or try to let it heal and push itself out . "Kiwi" is not really affected by it . It is eating normal and protecting its corner like it always has been . Should I mess with the fish or leave it alone. I added a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. and the paratilapia is not bleeding, not bloated and has been like this for two days. any suggestions on what I should do would be really helpful. It is really really hard to take a picture of this fish since it is completely black ( polleni) and I have black substrate .. with a black backround.... Kiwi really blends in very well. .

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
I would just leave it and let it pass. It has already passed through the fish so the hard part is done it just needs to finish passing. It would most likely be more harmful to physically remove it, and stress the fish at the same time. I would only physically remove it if it doesn't pass in a few days. I have no similar experience to this so I would wait for more input before you try to attempt anything.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I will wait a few dates and post updates . If I have too ill catch him and take a pic out of the water.. im just scared if I catch him it may do more damage . He is quite crazy when you catch him.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
ouch ouch ouch. Geez i cringed just reading this hope your buddy does ok. I agree i would just give it a day. if it doesnt pass by then you may have to remove it.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Day 4 still no change , the fish is still eating and attacking things as usual . I am going to wait until sunday before I attempt catching him . I may try to catch him with a ziplock container instead of a net . That may be easier and do less damage.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I would want to catch it and remove the glass so it doesn't just fall out and get eaten again or stab any fish again. Tough call though since as you said, catching him could do further damage as well.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
If your fish hasn't crapped in 4 days do not feed it! Its insides are gonna blow up!

Do you have a picture? This is likely to lead to death but the right dosage of Epsom salt (magnessium sulphate) can aid in digestion sort of like a laxative, you may want to research this option since the situation is pretty dismal ATM!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I haven't fed him anything but shelled pea's and i did add 1 teaspoon per gallon of aquarium salt. I have good news . I went to empty the tank to catch him with a container . I noticed the glass is gone but there is a big cut where it was . Now im emptying the 140 gallon to sift through the sand to find any glass and do an 80 % water change . Is there anything i can do to heal him up properly besides clean water and salt ? Or is that the best route.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
This is definitely a refreshing breath. I found the glass he had stuck in him and removed it and found a few more pieces .. I almost cried . By far one of the best fish and pets ive had. He's not out of the woods yet but it is a start. Ive decided not to feed him anything but shelled peas for the next 5 days and hopefully he will heal up . I will post photos later once I find my camera cord and the kiddo's are in bed.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
This is definitely a refreshing breath. I found the glass he had stuck in him and removed it and found a few more pieces .. I almost cried . By far one of the best fish and pets ive had. He's not out of the woods yet but it is a start. Ive decided not to feed him anything but shelled peas for the next 5 days and hopefully he will heal up . I will post photos later once I find my camera cord and the kiddo's are in bed.
Good I can unclench now. Glad to here he has passed it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store