saber tooth payara?

RipDabs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
CO
i found these on www.ascapeonline.com but had never heard of them until now. http://www.aquascapeonline.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=200 these look vicious when they get bigger (picture at bottom of page). i just bought a 150 gallon about a month ago and went with a fishy cycle. just a couple small oscars 2" max and some platies. i was wondering what any of you guys know about these saber tooth payaras. i was going to get a few wolf fish until i saw these. are they exciting to watch them eat or are they skitterish? anything you know about them would be a help. thanks.

adamstv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2006
costa mesa
They are awsome fish..... and amazing to watch eat.

Ony problem is they like lots of moving water and demand no other tankmates unless they are other sabertoothes.

adamstv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2006
costa mesa
wow thats cool IME and from what i have heard they hate tank mates unless its other payaras and yes for a big current I suggest a big HOB filter thats like rated for way more water than what size tank you have. Like on my 55 I got a great current flowing with a AC 110...(110 gallons of filtration)

jloos1988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
canton, MI
i got my paraya with a yellow tail barracuda and a needle nose gar and hes doing great. my advice would to make sure hes being kept with fish the same size or bigger. its amazing to watch him eat because he strikes upward at huge speeds and hardly ever misses. a true predator. they grow up to 18 inches in captivity so make sure the width of your tank is at least that.

mike C

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Alberta, Canada
I have a 7-8'' redtail payara ( vampire tetra) in a 230 with a 21'' Black aro and 6'' atf, 5 clown loaches,2 7'' bala sharks, one 7'' male Frontosa and 1 synodontis cat and 1 5'' male motoro ray and all is going very well. I keep my fish well fed at all times though. I must agree, the vampire tetra is spectacular to watch hunt and feed. Already at 7-8'', I can see it's teeth 6 feet away from the aquarium. They are really white. They also shed their teeth like a shark and have replacements folded down ready to pop-up into place within 2-3 days. I've also noticed the fish will not feed during this time. I have also noticed that the redtails seem to be quite a bit more agressive and will stand their ground against pretty much anything, at least mine does. I can't wait till it's 12'' or more.

Mike

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
RipDabs;711408; said:
cool, what do you suggest for the moving water? a big powerhead?

yeah and face it lenghtwise as to simulate a riverine setup!!!:)

I miss mine!!:( :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store