Smallest species of Freshwater Sting ray

sje106

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Hertford, Herts, UK
I'm looking to find a small species of freshwater sting ray, that isn't super rare or super expensive.

What are peoples experiences and knowledge?

Cheers

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
The Smallest is the magdalenea.. But its wildcaught and very tricky.. (No personal exspirience with it)

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
P.scobina is the smallest I know of but if you want small and inexpensive defenitely go with a P.reticulata (commonly sold as teacup stingray). However, if this is your first ray I wouldn't recomend it. They are comonly sold tiny (3" wide) at the lfs and baby rays -especially at that size- are extremely fragile. About 3 months ago I bought a male and a female P.reticulata, both where a hair under 4" wide. The female unfortunately passed away 2 weeks later from an infected bite from one of her tankmates. The male is doing fine and munching on blackworms as Im typing this.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
True hystrix. they should be in season this month? By far the best for what your asking.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
Yes definetly a hystrix would be the way to go, not to pricy, hardier than t-cups, and they don't get real big, or some species of Motoro don't get that big either

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Scobina are the smallest but very hard to find

Hystix are the next smallest

Teacup retic are not that small I don't know where that advice came from

Your best bet would be hystrix but make sure they are true hystrix

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
From what i have heard from other posts, the Retics get to around 14 - 16 as fully growns :O

Thats pretty small in my opinion :O Do you have other expirience? But again i dont think alot of people have fully outgrown rays, they havent been popular very long. Atleast from what ive heard

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
really? My lfs told me that advice.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
From what i have heard from other posts, the Retics get to around 14 - 16 as fully growns :O

Thats pretty small in my opinion :O Do you have other expirience? But again i dont think alot of people have fully outgrown rays, they havent been popular very long. Atleast from what ive heard
Don't under estimate the size of 16" disk that's like having a standard size car wheel in your tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store