Stingray tail

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
If a tail gets bit off on a ray when it is just a pup will it grow back, or has anyone ever had any past experience with this happening

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I don't think it will grow back, seen a couple people with tail-less rays on the forum I think. Maybe if theyre young enough but my money is on no. How far down may make a difference, but even that I doubt.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I dont think it will. My male P.reticulata got half of his tail bit off by another ray at the lfs and it hasnt grown back in the 3 moths I've had him.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
So... If its tail gets bit off it has no stinger?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Depends on how much of the tail has been bitten off.
+1, my male still has his stinger. Actually the bite is just under it so the stinger juts out like a sword.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
+1, my male still has his stinger. Actually the bite is just under it so the stinger juts out like a sword.
If the whole tail is gone, rays kinda lose their appeal and "wow factor" though... Would u mind posting a picture of yours? Also, since you are in MD like me, what LFS did u get it from? (Just curious...)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
I've had the ray for about 7 months it's lost about 90% of the tail but it seems like it may have grown just a little bit, it got the tail bit off by a mbu in my friends tank, so I took the ray, I'll post pics of the ray in a little bit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store