110 gallon tall tank set up

kenshinH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2013
Lone star state
Hi guys!

Next week i will start to set up my 110gal TALL tank tank(L48 x W19 x H30)
i need help on lighting.

This is gonna be the set up:
4" inches of safe Tsorb as substrate
pressurized C02

My plants are:
Java fern
Giant Hygro
Micro sword
Dwarf hair grass
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Anubias
Water wisteria
java moss
Banana Plant
Vals
Ludwigia

Ill be using my existing Coralife T5HO dual 48" light fixture.
my question is: do i need 4 T5HO light?

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
well, it depends on a lot of factors

if you are doing pressurized co2 though, I'd say go the distance, get a better light. For a decent price and quality, I like catalina....I have the 4 bulb myself. And be sure to get the right spectrum range on the lighting.

as for plants...eh, I think you can do better. I'd pick between the hairgrass and microsword, and I'd look into a bunch of different type of plants. You can grow nearly anything in a high tech situation.

Do you already have the co2 system? Do you know how to use it? I keep a high tech tank, I try and have my plants be more stuff I get form other hobbyists than stuff you can buy at any LFS...just cause if you have the means to grow nice stuff, you might as well grow nice stuff.

kenshinH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2013
Lone star state
well, it depends on a lot of factors

if you are doing pressurized co2 though, I'd say go the distance, get a better light. For a decent price and quality, I like catalina....I have the 4 bulb myself. And be sure to get the right spectrum range on the lighting.

as for plants...eh, I think you can do better. I'd pick between the hairgrass and microsword, and I'd look into a bunch of different type of plants. You can grow nearly anything in a high tech situation.

Do you already have the co2 system? Do you know how to use it? I keep a high tech tank, I try and have my plants be more stuff I get form other hobbyists than stuff you can buy at any LFS...just cause if you have the means to grow nice stuff, you might as well grow nice stuff.
Yup i already have a c02 system, i used to have a 75gal hi tech tank and i just tore in down and moving to a 110gal tall, i am thinking of ditching the DHG, little bit concern is the 110 is pretty bit deep than my 75gal :)
i already have a light fixture in mind in case i need more light, i found another coralife t5ho dual 48" on my local Craigslist for $40 bucks

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Yup i already have a c02 system, i used to have a 75gal hi tech tank and i just tore in down and moving to a 110gal tall, i am thinking of ditching the DHG, little bit concern is the 110 is pretty bit deep than my 75gal :)
i already have a light fixture in mind in case i need more light, i found another coralife t5ho dual 48" on my local Craigslist for $40 bucks
My tall 110 is pretty much the same size as yours, so I'm curious to see how it looks as a high tech setup. Mine is low tech with LEDs. Having a tall tank is definitely a challenge during maintenance and planting, but having long aquarium tools make it easier! Good luck and please post pics!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
For $40 you might as well snatch that light up so you can have a bit more par at substrate level

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store