Loisellei with Swollen eye

sje106

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Hertford, Herts, UK
I've come home from work this morning to find the eye on my Loisellei start to swell up.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1392403025.148919.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1392403089.849942.jpg

Is there anything I can do to cute this?? Bare in mind I have Clown Loach in the tank.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Looks like popeye. From the web:

Causes:
Physical injury
Infection
Metabolic disorder
Poor water conditions

Treatment:
Treatment for pop-eye will depend upon the underlying cause. If the eye has been injured, palliative care using aquarium salt unless contraindicated, while the eye heals is advisable. Regular water changes are also recommended, as well as monitoring of water chemistry. If water tests indicate a problem, either with drifting pH or elevated ammonia or nitrites, it should be corrected promptly. Fish should be fed good quality foods to support a healthy immune system.

Fish that are clearly suffering from an infection should be moved to a quarantine tank to avoid infecting other fish. They can also be treated with broad spectrum antibiotics to resolve the infection. If several fish are infected, it may be necessary to treat the main tank with broad spectrum antibiotics. Keep the tank very clean, and perform regular water changes weekly.

Water changes
Use aquarium salt
Correct water chemistry
Good tank maintenance
Broad spectrum antibiotics
Quarantine infectious fish

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
API Erythromycin or Maracyn are both Erythromycin and usful for this. In the main tank do a 50% water change and gravel vacuming. Clean your filters out in some tank water and keep the water as clean as possibile this is very important.

Most eye infections like this are caused by gram positive bacteria so the meds will be very hard in your nitrifying bacteria. It is best to treat this in a hospital tank for this reason. Where you can do water changes and medacte with out worrying about wiping out the BB in the main tank.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Erythromycin is ok to use with loaches and Flag tails. Again however I would strongly suggest treating in a hospital tank. Follow the instructions I gave above. If you have to treat the main tank keep a close eye on your water perameters during and after treatment. Keep the water very clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store