waveline dc pumps

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
After 2 months of dead silence my Laguna 2900 developed a hum that is driving me nuts. I've cleaned it, inspected the impeller and even lubed the impeller but the hum continues (lubing worked for 18hrs only to let me down). Hagen will replace the pump but that will take a couple of weeks from the time I pull the pump until new is in hand so instead od wasting money on an airstone, pump, tubing and valves I'd rather get another pump and use the replaced laguna as a backup and for water changes.

I would like to try a dc pump and leaning towards a waveline dc12000 and was wondering if anybody has personal experience with this pump or any other dc pump. The tank is in my living room and silence is necessary.

Thanks

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have two Speedwaves. The oldest is maybe 8 months old. Completely silent. Slow start up. I think they are great! I wish they made some pond size pumps too. I hope they are long lasting. I have back ups of Lagunas and MagDrives.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I'm using the new Reef Octopus Diablo dc5500 and love it.

55 watts and silent. Still a new design but so far I really like it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
How big are your tanks? I would like to try a dc pump on my 600

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Had some wavelines for almost a year and a bit now, still silent and running fine... many of the same model as what I use did have issues though but I seemed to have been lucky for the price very happy as the draw is second to none.

the new models look great just not happy with the price, massive jump but thats why I am very happy the 10,000s I got still work fine :D

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I have two Speedwaves. The oldest is maybe 8 months old. Completely silent. Slow start up. I think they are great! I wish they made some pond size pumps too. I hope they are long lasting. I have back ups of Lagunas and MagDrives.

I'll look into those, they have a model that fits my needs.
I'm using the new Reef Octopus Diablo dc5500 and love it.

55 watts and silent. Still a new design but so far I really like it

I remember you referring them to another member but unfortunately their biggest pump is almost 700gph less than what I currently have and not sure I want to go that low. My tank has an external overflow on one side and a return on the other so I'd like to stick with a single pump.
How big are your tanks? I would like to try a dc pump on my 600

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
225 wide
Had some wavelines for almost a year and a bit now, still silent and running fine... many of the same model as what I use did have issues though but I seemed to have been lucky for the price very happy as the draw is second to none.

the new models look great just not happy with the price, massive jump but thats why I am very happy the 10,000s I got still work fine :D
Good to know, maybe the newer model addresses some issues.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Based on an article I read in a UK salt publication, DC pumps are all either made by the same company or under license. The controller seems to be common between brands. Buy on price in my opinion.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Yea, the low wattage and silence is tempting.

Does anyone know how long they have been around? I can't find info on long term use. If you crunch the numbers paying and extra $100 for the pump vs a mag of same ghp takes a few years to pay off (unless you value silence, but running underwater in a sump I don't hear my mag pump)

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I did the math. It will pay for itself in electrical savings in under a year compared to a Mag. Its a no brainer.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
I'm glad u started this thread, I've been debating between the laguna 2900 or a jebao dc12000. The jebao is only like $160 but I'm worried how long it will last, especially with all the extra electrical connections. Hopefully some more DC pump owners chime in

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store