Using old filter floss to cycle

Sams0n

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Wanderland
I recently cleaned my sump about a month ago and replaced the filter floss with new ones. The old floss has been sitting in a bucket in my yard and has dried up. I am in the process of starting up a new tank. My question is, can I use that floss that's been sitting to help seed my new tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
x3....DONT use that old stuff that's dried out

Sams0n

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Wanderland
Gotcha. Thanks guys! Ill just take the filter floss I'm using now to put in the new sump. I will also be taking about 100gallons of water in my running tanks and running an fx5 that's been established for the new tank. A lot of expensive fish being moved so gotta take all the necessary precautions

Sams0n

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Wanderland
Gotcha. Thanks guys! Ill just take the filter floss I'm using now to put in the new sump. I will also be taking about 100gallons of water in my running tanks and running an fx5 that's been established for the new tank. A lot of expensive fish being moved so gotta take all the necessary precautions

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
sounds like a good plan...some will tell you to use fresh(new) water , but I like using at least 50% or thereabout of established water ,,,after all it is THEIR environment ,,,:) good luck

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
filter floss isn't usually a biological filter material. since it's removed so soon after putting it in, it's not going to have the bacterial colony that something that's been in the tank for a month or two, or better yet, 3. I would use gravel or tank ornaments before filter floss.

Sams0n

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Wanderland
filter floss isn't usually a biological filter material. since it's removed so soon after putting it in, it's not going to have the bacterial colony that something that's been in the tank for a month or two, or better yet, 3. I would use gravel or tank ornaments before filter floss.
Driftwoods? I just setup an fx5 and filled about 120g of water (70g old, and 50g new). When I'm ready to move the fish in 2 weeks I'll fill the remainder with the old tank water

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
probably driftwood. something like malaysian or mopani, yes. softer woods, I'm not sure. with it decomposing from the outside inward there may be enough bacterial life that the denitrifying bacteria may be out competed for surface area and be unable to gain a foothold.

and you
should read more posts. there are many many posts letting you know that using old water isn't helpful in most situations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store