1st Venture Into Saltwater - Seeking Advice

wolf96

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Memphis, TN
After 15 years of keeping freshwater tanks, I am ready to start my first SW system.:nilly:

My idea is a species (Wet Pet) tank with but 1 resident - A Picasso Triggerfish, one of my all time favorites SW residents.
I have a 75 gallon tank that I plan on using for this project....will this be large enough for the adult size of the Picasso?
As for filtration...I was thinking a Rapids Pro filtration system or possibly a custom sump filled with live rock and some Seachem
Matrix.
What should I use for Mechanical filtration in a SW system?
Are water changes the same as with my freshwater systems (50% twice a week) or different frequency?
What decor would suit a Picasso Triggerfish the best?
Is a clean up crew possible or will they all become snacks for the Picasso?

Sorry for all the questions,

I am just getting started in the planning phases and am hoping to have the tank setup and the fishless cycle underway within the next month.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I am not familiar with the rapid filtration system but it seems good from its product description. That's all I am going by. It has mechanical filtration in the system, which is the filter pads and skimmer.

75 might be a little small for life. Get one small and worry about it in a couple of years.

Clean up crew is hit or miss. Crabs and snails might be good. Shrimp might get eaten. Get a small trigger and large clean up crew members. It should work.

50% a few times a week is great but salt is expensive and must be prepared. You could do 15 gallons a week. Grow some macro algae.

Rock is the best decor. It will house organisms which will help water quality and give the trigger something to pick at.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store