Need help with setting up commercial arapaima gigas hatchery/farm

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Howdy,

My father in law is looking to setup a commercial fishery on a farm in alabama and he wants to raise arapaima. I was wondering if you guys knew where I could locate some fry. How do they breed? Pairs? Groups? How would one setup a hatchery for these guys? What kind of pond setup wild work?

Thanks

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Sorry to burst your(his) bubble, but Alabama is way too cold to breed tropical fish.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk App

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Could possibly be done in heated greenhouses, but might be expensive to build and operate.
Yeah, Arapaima obviously need lots of space so the ponds and greenhouses would need to be huge. The heating costs would be so high that the Arapimas he'd breed couldn't compete in price with those that are being bred in South America.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk App

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Hmmm....

Well the idea actually was for a heated pond system. It's still a no go? Our climate is sub-tropical. Wouldn't require a huge investment of energy to simulate a tropical body of water, and the market price for arapaima as food commodity is quite high.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Not really practical. Cost thousands or dollars to heat.You would be way better off raising sturgeons or paddle fish for caviar. Or catfish tilapia bass etc.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
The juveniles are extremely delicate... and then they grow at a rate of two inches per month... it wouldnt be practical at all.

Also, I may be wrong, but dont they migrate to spawn? Many large river fish do. That would make it pretty much impossible, wouldnt it?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Not to derail, but let me be the first one to say that you married into an awesome family. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
They have figured out how to breed them in ponds in Asia and SA, probably w/ hormones though and Im not sure if it'll be healthy to serve hormone fish lol. You'd need a separate pond for the mother and fry because the fry live off a sort of milk the mother excretes, I'm not sure if large males would eat the other fishs fry or not. It might be better just to import a large amount of 8-12 inchers, raise them to a large size, harvest, then do it again.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
Hmmm....

Well the idea actually was for a heated pond system. It's still a no go? Our climate is sub-tropical. Wouldn't require a huge investment of energy to simulate a tropical body of water, and the market price for arapaima as food commodity is quite high.
I'd hardly state your area is sub tropical. Didn't it just snow there? You'd be spending a lot of money just to heat those ponds.
Also arapaima isn't a popular food fish here in the states so now you'd be running into another problem with permits to export fish.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store