Question about live rock

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
If I was to make a 225g FOWLR system and had a protein skimmer, I hear that 100-150lb of live rock would be good.

my question is, How much of this has to be "live" and how much can be dead. For example I`m happy to leave it all for weeks and weeks and weeks to mature. I`m not really going to be in a super rush to stock the tank, So can I start with a smaller amount of live rock and then the rest just dead? I`m just thinking about the price. Also I notice that setting up a marine FOWLR is technically easier because for half the price of a good powerful filter system I can get rock.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
It takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months to turn dry rock into live (seeded). Llive rock will have a greater variety of life on it than seeded dry rock. However, sometimes there are unwanted hitchhikers on live rock. Don't know about where you live, but here in the states there is always live rock available on craigslist for bargain prices.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
+1
There's no set amount of how much you have to have some people do all dry rock or man made rock like real reef rock.if you do go with live rock make sure it's fully cured and check for pest. So yes you can start with a small amount of live and the rest can be dry

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Using rock won't be cheaper then buying a filtration system. You can get a hang on back over flow for ~$70, a 40 gallon tank for $40, bio ball $10 and 2 filter socks $6. If you want to save some money you can use tote.

100 pounds of rock will cost ~$150 that is extremely cheap it will cost more towards $250 range. For a medium to high bio load you are going to need more rock.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Using rock won't be cheaper then buying a filtration system. You can get a hang on back over flow for ~$70, a 40 gallon tank for $40, bio ball $10 and 2 filter socks $6. If you want to save some money you can use tote.

100 pounds of rock will cost ~$150 that is extremely cheap it will cost more towards $250 range. For a medium to high bio load you are going to need more rock.

those prices are in NY. in Canada we have to pay more than you guys for just about everything hobby related.

I know it takes a long time to turn te dead rock into live rock. I was planning on doing that, I don`t mind waiting a few months. I already have HOB filters on the tank anyway its just that I read the rocks are better than filters because filters become a gathering place for nitrates and other problems when used in Marine aquariums.

What I was planning on doing was emptying the tank, put in the substrate

Add A reasonable amount of live rock, then a reasonable amount of cured dead rock. Wait for the system to mature a few weeks down the line add some snails or whatever, keep testing. A few weeks after when tests are good get a hardy damsel or mollies in there to help with the maturing process. Yes I know you are supposed to wait upto 6 weeks between adding fish. and thats fine because I don`t inted to have lots of small fish anyway. I definately want a porcupine puffer. everything else will just be whatever I feel goes well and can be housed adequatly.
Probably just start off with hardier stuff. I feel like a wrasse might be a good hardy addition early on.

I will have filters on there, but I was wondering if I should only have one of them, and do regular maintenance. I also hear it should be mechanical not biological?

The tank is 225g 5' long, 3' wide and 2' high. I currently have lots of tropical stock in there but I am moving soon and decided I will just sell off all my stock when I move instead of bothering to move the fish. Then I will begin Marine. Yes I have kept Marine before, reef AND FOWLR. I just wanted to run this idea by everyone first.

I intended to use the money I make selling my stock (or trading in) top purchase the rocks or at least go towards it. I feel like you can`t ask a question on this site without having to give a giant explanation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store