My Tiger shovelnose swallowed my figure eight puffer...

Too Many Choices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2012
Australia
Normally puffers (marine ones at least) are deadly poisonous. Hence nothing eats them.

Apparently the poison is a result of what they eat in the wild. In captivity APPARENTLY they loose their toxicity. So maybe the cat fish will be fine.

Purely based conjecture from what I've heard.

I guess puffers shouldn't be kept with fish that can eat them :p

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Now that was stupid... you didnt expect this too happen? for their size tsn have a larger mouth than rtc, and grow just as large! 2000g tank time!-) seriously tho sorry to hear it but its silly to put them together in the first place, figure of eights get what 4inch? tsn 4ft+...

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Assuming the puffer is now dead, the catfish will be fine. Just dont feed him until he's done digesting it. If the puffer was somehow still alive and he puffed up that catfish would certainly die a horrible death. So would the puffer.

Now that was stupid... you didnt expect this too happen? for their size tsn have a larger mouth than rtc, and grow just as large! 2000g tank time!-) seriously tho sorry to hear it but its silly to put them together in the first place, figure of eights get what 4inch? tsn 4ft+...
Really? I thought rtcs had bigger mouths

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
so did i but if i remember correctly catfish guru the bigger the better informed me different... its to do with the way their heads are shaped.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Ya, probably not a brilliant idea on my part. With puffers it is either 1 of 2 extremes. They a) Get swallowed or killed OR b) Attack and nip all my cichlid's tails, no matter how large or aggressive the cichlids are. My fiance wants a saltwater tank with a huge puffer, but I tried to appease her for the time being with a fresh/brackish puffer. Originally I had put in two 3 inch Fang's puffers and they were like piranhas. I had to separate them from the others to keep them from biting off the tails and fins off my fish. Even my 7 inch Jaguar fell victim to their chompers. So obviously I re-homed those guys and remembered I had in the past kept the less aggressive spotted puffers with my cichlids and had no problems. However, I did not have any catfish at the time and this is my first tiger shovelnose. I didn't realize they pretty much will swallow anything. But again, that was my fault for buying on impulse mixed with a bit of wishful thinking. The shovelnose is looking fine, his stomach has flattened out some and he is swimming around. That was a close call, could have been worse. At least not for the puffer, yikes.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Wow, how did that feel? Did it feel stupid?

Because it was pretty stupid, honestly...

First of all, F8 Puffers are brackish water fish, it never should have been in that tank to begin with.

Second of all, I'm not sure about the toxicity of F8 Puffers, but you very well might have a second dead fish on your hands, too.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Wow, how did that feel? Did it feel stupid?

Because it was pretty stupid, honestly...

First of all, F8 Puffers are brackish water fish, it never should have been in that tank to begin with.

Second of all, I'm not sure about the toxicity of F8 Puffers, but you very well might have a second dead fish on your hands, too.
Not all puffers are poisonous and freshwater puffer species are not enough lethal all due to their dietary in the wild and also in captivity.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Not really. Why, do you feel stupid? I shared my experience, it is what it is. Wow, are they brackish, really? Never heard that before! Thanks for your keen insight buddy ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store