Bottom feeder for my 75 gallon.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
If you want some background read this thread: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...atfish-for-my-75-gallon&p=6799525#post6799525 but otherwise, I have a 75 gallon that has a stock of 6 giant danios (dither), 1 striped raphael catfish, 1 sailfin pleco (pleco is only for either 2 years or until it hits 8") then going to a 150+ gallon). It will soon also have a severum, 2 other 5-6 inch SA or CA cichlids, and a four line pimelodus. Right now it also houses a 2.5 inch rainbow shark that will be going to my friend on March 1st because he has been sucking slime coat off the other fish. While I LOVE catfish I would like to get a non catfish bottom feeder (to mix it up) to take his place. I was thinking maybe like a tire track eel or a senegal bichir? I don't know people I'm a catfish expert and that's my main focus so all you bottom dweller in general experts give me some ideas (please)!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
tyre track eels get 36 inch so a smaller relative like a peacock eel would be a better choice. not sure on birchers, you should have aflick through the eel stickys!-) obvious choice would be clown loach?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
tyre track eels get 36 inch so a smaller relative like a peacock eel would be a better choice. not sure on birchers, you should have aflick through the eel stickys!-) obvious choice would be clown loach?
Clown Loaches need to be in schools dont they? Plus they get HUGE to be kept in numbers with the relatively small amount of room I hva eleft! Regardless, I am not a big fan of loaches.

I do like the Peacock Eel idea though.

Keep those ideas coming people!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
grow very very slowly... what about some reed fish, how big do they get?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What about Knifefish? Are there any that wont outgrow the tank for at least 2 years (getting a 150-180 in my basement in about 2 years)?

I LOVE clown knives but they I'm sure they get to big to quick.
Also love BGK's but AGAIN I think it would outgrow the tank by 2 years. What do you guys think about BGK's?
Any other knives that would be good and readily available?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
/\ same as a reed fish, they are the same family as birchir and top out at 14 inch!-)

bgk only usually get 12 inch dont they, i think they will be fine grow slowly too... pretty cool when they are large aswell.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
/\ same as a reed fish, they are the same family as birchir and top out at 14 inch!-)

bgk only usually get 12 inch dont they, i think they will be fine grow slowly too... pretty cool when they are large aswell.
And they wont push me over my bioload?
So the stocking will be:
1 Green Severum
1 geophagus red head (not tapajos but they're red heads)
1 Blue Acara or Firemouth (undecided)
6 Giant Danios
1 Striped Raphael Catfish
1 Four Line Pimelodus
1 Sailfin Pleco (for 2 years)
1 BGK (unless it outgrows)

Just need some others to approve of this stocking as well to ensure that its good.

Tank params:
Temp: 76F
ph: 7.6
wc schedule: weekly 30-40%

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i think you will be fine excluding the pleco, why not swap in out for a smaller species? bgk i doubt will hit its claimed max size of 1.6 foot anyway... have a search on here for big bgk's...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store