Temperate /coldwater sharks,

dreadfish04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
uk
Has anyone on here kept or is keeping the cool water shark species found around the british coast? not been able to find much online apart from how to catch them on rod and line, i'm looking to install a large plywood native tank in the garage and planning potential stock, most of these guys seems to feed primarily on mollusc/crustacea, the catsharks lesser spotted dogfish(Scyliorhinus canicula) and bullhuss(Scyliorhinus stellaris) i would presume similar care requirements to bamboos? obviously with lower temp, unsure about smoothounds (mustelus mustelus and Mustelus asterias) though (although they would look great in a tank!) any thoughts and advise welcome
the lesser spotted dogfish grow about 80cm with the others growing larger common smoothhound between 150cm - 200cm (prob a bit large for my budget) bullhuss up to 160cm and starry smooth hound up to 140cm
lesser spotted dogfishScyliorhinus canicula
lesser_spotted_dogfish_465x311_zpsad4a1b25.jpg
hatchlinglesserspotted_zpsb9f4da40.jpg
Bullhuss Scyliorhinus stellaris
bullhuss_zpsadca2e30.jpg
Smoothhound Mustelus asterias
starrysmoothhound_zpsf59f9ed1.jpg
Juvenile smoothound mustelus mustelus
smoothhoundpup_zpsbd560d88.jpg
juvenilesmoothhound_zpsd2ddcd87.jpg

lesser_spotted_dogfish_465x311_zpsad4a1b25.jpg

hatchlinglesserspotted_zpsb9f4da40.jpg

bullhuss_zpsadca2e30.jpg

starrysmoothhound_zpsf59f9ed1.jpg

smoothhoundpup_zpsbd560d88.jpg

juvenilesmoothhound_zpsd2ddcd87.jpg

dreadfish04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
uk
the eggcases for bullhuss and lesser spotted can be found in numbers snorkelling where i live, so would be grown from hatchlings, the smoothounds give live pups around 10-12" long , and i live near n estuary wre they come to breed in the summer so sourcing small juveniles wouldnt be hard

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I've contemplated a shark tank and one thing that always swayed me was the electric bill of heating a 500+ gallon tank to 80F in my 65F basement. I'd seen the cold water catsharks before but haven't found any place that sells them, including eggs.

If you can get your hands on them I think they'd be an amazing pet and probably $100 less per month to own if you don't need to heat or cool at all.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dreadfish04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
uk
Well i can certainly get them and have space for a large tank prob in the region of 6x3x3 or poss larger pond

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
For care, most of the cool/cold water bethics will feed on inverts (high calcium and high iodine) and small fish. They are very cool once you get them established.

Is it legal to collect / catch your own shark pups / eggs ?

Those are some nice looking fish.
This is actually a valid concern, but the UK (and most of the coastal European countries) do not have strict regulation when it comes to taking sharks. I would need to look into it more, but off the top of my head there are no laws in place to manage collection like this. That being said, most European coastal sharks are also on edge of being endangered due to over fishing and death as by catch or for shark fin soup.

dreadfish04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
uk
as far as im aware the lesser spotted dogfish, bullhuss and smoothhound has no status in terms of protection. regularly caught and taken by anglers all over the uk, but its a good point which i will check into

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store