I've made a decision - Elephant Nose Fish

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
The Elephant nose has always been a huge interest of mine. I find them beautiful and different. However, I was told they were super hard to take care of. For awhile I've been trying to determine what type of fish I'd like to get. I really wanted a Delhezi Bichir for awhile, and then an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. Yet, my love for the Elephant nose is still there. I think I'm going to start off with one, I've been doing research for awhile. I still plan on getting a Delhezi Bichir someday, in a separate tank, of course.

I know that they need at least a 30 gallon tank, I plan on getting a 50 or 75 gallon. I know they need a soft substrate like sand because of their snouts, and they eat black worms. Also, they need hiding places, are nocturnal, and should not be kept with others of their kind unless it's a big group. I plan on keeping just one by himself, with some hiding places and maybe some plants. Is there anything else I need to know? What kind of filter should I get, I know these tend to need pristine water conditions. Does anyone keep these beautiful fish?

Also, what exactly does it mean to "cycle a tank"? This is something I need to do before adding a fish, right? Sorry, I'm kind of new to all of this terminology.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Most mormyrids that I know are hardy, so water conditions shouldn't be that big of a deal. Then again "good water conditions" for most MFK members are different than most normal fish keepers. Elephant noses are mormyrids, which are ancient fish, so they would go on the ancient fish part of MFK, not other monster fish.
For filters, an Aquaclear 110 will do you good. You should read the sticky on cycling the tank right here -->http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?224559-Cycling-and-You. You need to cycle the tank before getting your fish. Bloodworms aren't going to be the most nutritious food for them while older. Try to get your Elephant nose on small sinking pellets as fast as you can. They aren't hard to take care of, they just have special needs. A soft sand is a must, and not all sands are soft. You are going to need lots of plants and hiding places. Mine was very shy until I added bunch of plastic plants, then it came out a little more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store