Breeding Rays Central System vs Individual Tank

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I have 4 species of rays currently housed in tanks that are filtered separately. I'm looking at either dripping separately or dripping to a sump barrel connecting all the tanks together. Each tank would still have it's own filtration system. Question is what are the advantages / disadvantages of each method when it comes to breeding (I understand the logic of individual vs central systems for general ray keeping)?

Specifically:

1. Will males mature faster if on a central system as they pick up hormones from mature females? I've heard of immature males maturing quickly when put in a tank with mature / breeding rays.

2. Will males become more aggressive to female tank mates as they sense a ready female in the water but can't get to her so go after females in tank assuming it's one of them?

3. Will it encourage breeding from males? I've heard sometimes more than one male in a tank encourages breeding.

4. Can a central system inhibit breeding as the "dominant male" sends out hormones / signals to the other males?

5. Would a female ray be less receptive to mating if another mature female is ready to mate and releasing hormones (assuming that they do) in the system?

6. Does a central system encourage breeding overall as hormones are in the water and stimulate breeding?

I know people have bred rays both ways (central system and individual systems). Looking for your thoughts and Feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Wow i just saw this thread with no replies

Imo having all systems can be a good and bad thing. Just like you said it can be good to help breeding between tanks but can also be bad if sickness starts somewhere

Its would be very good for water params thought since the water volume would be huge

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
I have 4 species of rays currently housed in tanks that are filtered separately. I'm looking at either dripping separately or dripping to a sump barrel connecting all the tanks together. Each tank would still have it's own filtration system. Question is what are the advantages / disadvantages of each method when it comes to breeding (I understand the logic of individual vs central systems for general ray keeping)?

Specifically:

1. Will males mature faster if on a central system as they pick up hormones from mature females? I've heard of immature males maturing quickly when put in a tank with mature / breeding rays.

2. Will males become more aggressive to female tank mates as they sense a ready female in the water but can't get to her so go after females in tank assuming it's one of them?

3. Will it encourage breeding from males? I've heard sometimes more than one male in a tank encourages breeding.

4. Can a central system inhibit breeding as the "dominant male" sends out hormones / signals to the other males?

5. Would a female ray be less receptive to mating if another mature female is ready to mate and releasing hormones (assuming that they do) in the system?

6. Does a central system encourage breeding overall as hormones are in the water and stimulate breeding?

I know people have bred rays both ways (central system and individual systems). Looking for your thoughts and Feedback.

1- no males mature naturally. You just need mature males to breed.

2- no. nobody has even proven that these rays even give off smells that's just a few hobbiest opinions.

3- if you put the males in a tank togather. Just having them in same system won't do anything.

4- no. again nobody has proven female rays give off pheromones ,males giving off pheromones to other males doesn't make alot of sense. You'd benefit more from having the males in a tank together. Even if they give off smells I don't know how faint if any would get transferred to another tank.

5 - ?? This is kinda the same question
As last.

6- I think we are all guilty of overthinking this subject.majority of Fish breed instinctively Fish are migratory some are schooling . Seasons are my main guess what will influence rays to breed. Not just rain and temps. Food sources are seasonal also as certain food sources pass by ,school ,migrate ,spawn and the life cycle follows this around. Many other species follow spawning fish and the food chain goes on down from that point all the way down to the tiniest organisms.
Honestly watching my rays I don't think he relies on hormones to make him want to breed. He just breeds with who he likes. He's trapped in a box I think he knows there's chicks in with him :)
...But I do also observe males trying to breed with females close to when they are ready to give birth. Maybe it's the way she's acting because that does change or it maybe a hormone she releases.

Central systems are best because you gain shear volume.
A larger body of water is more beneficial . Your not going to spread deceases tank to tank if you have healthy well acclimated quarantined fish. In a fish room having tanks run all individually if one of those tanks gets sick your just as likely to spread it . Nobody sterilizes everything that goes from tank to tank.
A properly placed uv sterilizer in a system like that will be very beneficial. An ozonizer would be very be beneficial in a larger system as it sterilizes 1000x better than chlorine and without ever using chemicals.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Yes to everything posted above.

I personally prefer one massive system (assuming you have healthy animals). It reduces the work load (IE: one filter to clean vs five, one set of water parameters to check instead of five....).

I have found breeding is induced best by temp swings and replication of other natural changes that occur seasonally in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store