I got an EHEIM 2217 for my 90 Gal, which media?

Scorpio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
Queens, NY
I just got an EHEIM 2217 filter for my 90 gal tank but was checking the Eheim brand ceramic rings and media and boy that sh*t is expensive. Can I use ceramic ring from Ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4-lbs-A...997162310?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item2ecc5d4d46. Before I had some Fluvals (the olds 405) which are not bad but I'm thinking to do my own version of 2217 with a 6" diameter 36" long PVC pipe (The Eheim 2217 is about 8" diameter and 12" long) so I can put a large amount of media in it.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Yea I would just use what u want.I use seachem matrix or de-nitrate.i have used other cheaper ceramic, old media from busted canisters or sale item. All does the same, place for bacteria to colonize

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Scorpio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
Queens, NY
Great tampabass just order a 2# bulk. This is a great deal. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I use it in my 150gal sump. to unlock it's full potential you need to use it in a hyper-aerated fluidized bed. So I have a pondmaster 100 pond pump with 10 stones that violently aerate and circulate it in the sump after the water passes through filter socks. The tank has a massive bioload and ammonia is always zero. The idea with it banging and circulating constantly is only the strongest ammonia eating bacterial colonies will propagate. You also don't have to clean it. At least I don't, as it cycles it will turn off-white to yellow as the biofilm develops. Take a while to cycle but ultimate biofiltration. Not ideal for a canister because of design. You can use soda bottles with an airstone DIY. YouTube soda bottle K1 for ideas

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Scorpio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
Queens, NY
Good information, thanks. I'll look for the K1 soda bottles, lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store