Does my angelfish have finrot?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
2 days ago I noticed my one remaining koi angelfish was acting weird. Yesterday I noticed he was moving very slow, he still eats normal but has trouble swimming fast like he used to be able to. When I used to come up to the glass, immediately he would come see me. Now he only comes up half the time and very slowly when he does. After close examination I noticed his caudal fin was jagged on the end and his dorsal fin was split down the middle. Today I noticed his right pectoral fin was also torn and he wasn't using it much. I think this is finrot and if it is how do i treat it. I can't use anything with malachite green since I have chemical sensitive catfish. Also if it is finrot will it spread to ay of my other fish since he is my only angelfish? If it is any help my other angelfish died a few weeks ago but had no signs of any fin damage. What should I do, he acts normal but is slow and partially crippled?!?!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Can you post water perameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph and hardness. What is your maintanance schedule like?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Can you post water perameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph and hardness. What is your maintanance schedule like?
Ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 70 (I'm doing changes more often so it's dropping, doing one later today as well)
temperature: 78-79
ph: 7.6

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Do some good sized water changes and get the nitrates down below 20ppm. You might want to rinse out your filter media in some tank water and do a good substrate vacuming. Once you get the nitrates down lets see out the fish does, might just be a water issue.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm doing weekly 50s now since they don't see. To go above 40 or 50 by the end of the week. He doesn't seem any better though, if anything worse! Is there anything I can do to help this?

image.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try treating with API Triple Sulfa.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member