HELP! Jack Dempsey popeye getting WORSE!

noelle

Feeder Fish
Feb 5, 2014
chicago
Hi!

I seriously need help! ASAP!!!!! I have a Jack Dempsey, about 9 inches whom I have had for 6 years. He lives in a 50 gallon tank with two red blood parrot/convict mixes (3 inches and 5 inches). After a tank cleaning in which I changed about 50% of the water he began to develop what I thought was Popeye. It started in his left eye and then about a week later developed in his left eye. He has gotten progressively worse and I am at my wits end. I dont even know what is happening to his right eye anymore!

I do not have a separate quarantine tank (I know that is a bad choice, but we all work with what we have) I have been treating with liquid Maracyn Plus according to the directions, every other day after removing about 10% of the water. I have also had aquarium salt in the tank at all times. He has been sick and getting worse for 18 days now.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

He is now floating mostly with his head down and tail up. Please see pictures below. Please help in any way that you can. I am so desperate to make him better.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
looks like popeye to me also...generally from what I know, popeye is more of a symptom than an actual disease,,,COLUMNARIS ,I have been told CAN CAUSE IT...my best guess is that you should treat the whole tank for COLUMNARIS ,,,,,others who might know better might post soon .. good luck I hope it turns out well

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Wow that's bad have you turned your temp up? And make sure you have plenty of oxygen in the water. I would start adding mela - fix as well its safe to use with the maracyn plus to speed up healing the eye tissue

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Please post water perameters ammonia, nitrite, nitrate ph and hardness if available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store