Ctenolucius hujeta - Info

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
I have an opportunity to get 2 of these for $25. They seem to be about 6-7" according to the pictures.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. Most consistent stuff I could find online was that they get to 10-12" in aquaria. Everything else was contradicting: aggressive, live vs pellet food, tank mates, etc. So any information anyone can give me would be wonderfully helpful.

Just some info, they would be going in a 135g with 3x10" Peacock bass, 1x10" FL spotted gar and 2x10" common plecos. Filtration is an FX6 and a U2 with a powerhead.

The other option for a tank would be a 55g with a 15" BGK, 4" rainbow shark and 4" african butterfly with a fluval 304 filter. I'm hesitant about this though because some things I did read said they can be aggressive to "flowy" fish like a BGK and that a 6" hujeta can eat a 6" fish so long as it isn't tall like an angel, and that rainbow shark would be prime prey.

Below is the picture I got of them.

Thanks in advance.

00F0F_ggjT93kEOxA_600x450.jpg

00F0F_ggjT93kEOxA_600x450.jpg

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I just sold both of mine yesterday. About 7-8" long. They are fairly peaceful. I haven't had any problems with them and any knives. They will go after fairly large prey but mine have never attacked anything over half their size. They loved swimming against the current if my output and they went absolutely crazy for jumbo carnisticks. I dunno if there would be problems with gar but if it doesn't work out the 55 would work. My he largest fish mine ever attacked were 3" goldfish. Everything else was safe.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Not the right thread. These guys are characins, not true gars. I do not reccomend putting them with the gar or peacock bass. Gars are very fast growers, as peacock bass can be. Hujetas are not. It will not take long until you gars and bass are double or more the size of the hujetas and then they will become potential prey. Also, gars tend to see silvery fish as prey, including C. hujeta. C. hujeta are wonderful fish, do not get me wrong, but they are not compatable with gars and Pbass in the long run. I recommend putting them in another tank.

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Hujetas also mainly eat live food, but with time and PANTIENCE they may be trained to eat pellets or frozen foods. I have seen them kept with BGKs before, so that shouldn't be a problem, and as long as they are well fed, the rainbow shark should be okay, but there are no garuntees.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
i have kept them with ery without problems. i suspect they worked because my wolves are very lazy and pretty much keep to themselves UNLESS their territory is bothered, they are bothered, or they are theatened. i once put a 12" marble gar in with my 7" ery and even though the marble stayed in the top 4" of water the ery destroyed him overnight. and as to feeding mine started on guppies then i noticed he would eat brine shrimp and bloodworms and from there he eat just about anything i put in the tank.

drewbiezy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
DFW
Well that sounds worth the risk for the most part, would be far more worried of loosing my Kessleri than another minimonster. These guys look very interesting,most videos show them as fairly active my wolf has become so stagnant just stares at her reflection unless its feeding time so this would be a nice addition. Would guess these guys would do good with a normal shrimp/tilapia diet with clean feeders every once in a while if possible to find.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Should work I feed mine shrimp pellets and hikari bloodworms and brine shrimp. He also eats floating pellets sometimes too. And I wouldn't worry about the wolf. I have never seen mine very aggressive especially if he cant swallow it easily. I wouldn't worry about even putting a smaller one in with neon tetras .

drewbiezy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
DFW
Awesome thanks for the tips, will be keeping an eye out for some of these guys local or for a good deal online. Also would these guys be ok on their own with a wolf or do they prefer pairs or shoals?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store