Gar Rescue/ID/Healing Question

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
I went to my local store and they had this guy in the tank. Turns out someone brought him in yesterday after they had put him puffers. The pet store was gonna try to nurse him back but when I asked they let me have him. He made it through the night seems like he's doing ok, and I will try to feed him tonight. Will the fins heal back or will he stay like this?
I am thinking Florida Gar but want to confirm. Not a great pic but best I could do before work.
Thanksuploadfromtaptalk1392728503482.jpg

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
I will get some more pics up tonight or tomorrow and will try to show better condition of the fins. They are basically nubs at this point but he seems to move around, though it is awkward. Is there anything in particular I need to look out for with gars as compared to other fish? Thanks again. I'm hoping that I can get this guy back up and swimming.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Fins that far nipped down are not likely to heal. Should still be able to maneuver around though, but tend to get a little awkward looking. Big thing to be aware of are that gars are easily picked on by other fish, no aggressive tank mates or sucker mouthed fishes.

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
No one has bothered him so far. I also have a spotted gar characin about 3/4 this one's size and he doesn't get bothered. It seems as though any quarrels in my tank are when the driftwood catfish and lima catfish are both interested in the same piece of food. I guess I will just have to make sure to direct some food his way to ensure that he eats. The only other gar I've had I was able to train to be hand (tweezer) fed so maybe I can do the same thing. We'll see. I just can't imagine who would think putting any fish in with puffers would be a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store