Dual in-line Fluval Fx5 question

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Ive got a 360 gallon tank with 3 Fx5 filters on it.
Tank is drilled on each end and in the middle, so it was no problem hooking up the 3 Fx5 filters.

My question is this:
I want to add another Fx5 to the system.
Was thinking of hooking it up in-line with one of the other Fx5's

So I would from the tank, go:
inlet on the 1st Fx5
Outlet from the 1st Fx5 to the inlet on the 2nd Fx5
then outlet on the 2nd Fx5 to the return

Simple and easy but would I run both pumps/motors on the Fx5's or just one?

what do you think?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I think you would burn out the motor with water being forced into a filter not made to handle the pressure. Ill be honest I dont use fx5s but in my mind it is a bad idea.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
All aquarium pumps are centrifugal by design. The problem I see if the second pump will be at an advantage because it has more head pressure, such that it could pump faster. This
Could lead to cavitation in the pump head, which you would hear and be hard on the pump.

You could simply leave the second pump off, it will work just be lower flow rate. If you want higher flow you will need to balance the pressures by throttling the inlet and outlet valves of the second canister.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
ya, that was my concern to but was also wondering if just running one motor would be enough to push water thru both filters.
The way my tank is, I cant just hang the in-let and out-let over the back,
so I would either have to do it this way to add another filter, drill the tank again or sprit the lines were its drilled in the back and run each filter its own lines.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
All aquarium pumps are centrifugal by design. The problem I see if the second pump will be at an advantage because it has more head pressure, such that it could pump faster. This
Could lead to cavitation in the pump head, which you would hear and be hard on the pump.

You could simply leave the second pump off, it will work just be lower flow rate. If you want higher flow you will need to balance the pressures by throttling the inlet and outlet valves of the second canister.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
ya, I was thinking the same thing.... was my main concern

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
This! So many fx5 seem silly
MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Only seems silly unless you know whats in my tank.
I have a large bio-load in the tank and I believe in over filtering.
I have had 3 Fx5's on it for two years now and never had a problem.
Only reason Im thinking of adding the 4th is because I have it.
I had it on another tank and have since taken the tank down.
Besides the fact I have a underlined reason for wanting it on the tank.

Texchappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Lubbock, Tx
Thinking as other have said that running them inline like that would stress the motor for a filter designed to be gravity/suction fed. What kind of filtering do you see a shortage in - mechanical or bio?

If mech then I'd try a powerhead/wavemaker to move the waste to the intakes - or else add an AC110.

If Bio, I'd say use that drilled tank for a sump - or at least a larger Eheim (2262 or 2080).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store