ID this plant?

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
I'm sorry, I'm gonna be "that guy" for once. I have no picture, but I think I can paint a sufficient mental picture for you...

At a local Burton's Total Pets I found a plant that is structurally similar (imagine in silhouette) to Hairgrass except that the stems/leaves were much thinner, practically the size of heavy thread...it was a similar shade of green to hairgrass...it did not possess straight leaves, but they branched at certain points as the plant reached toward the surface....the two that I saw were about 10" in height....they had very thin roots and were sold 'bunched'...the clerk told me that they have them almost constantly so I imagine they aren't rare.

I've tried searching online but didn't find anything even close.

Ironically, I had just put down an encyclopedia of aquarium plants that I wanted because it cost more than I had on me!

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Without a pic I would say najas guadalupensis or guppy grass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
The Eriocaulon setaceum is close but the one is saw branches out beginning at the base rather than from higher up. Thanks for those links MyGiants, those pages will prove helpful although I couldn't find this particular plant. I was able to identify another plant I saw though, bacopa 'colorata'.

I hope to stop by there again this afternoon, and odds are I'll buy it since I don't have any fish in the tank to worry about. If I do, I'll take pictures. I looked at Najas grass and it branches in a similar fashion, but the general shape is still much more like a clump of hairgrass and the leaves/stems are much thinner than the pictures I've seen of Najas.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
The structure of hair grass vs najas is obviously different. The only similarity we have is to go on is color and leaf type.

The clerk *should* know what they have...

But pics would definitely help

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store