Bioaquatics? Clown loaches? And tank size?

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
So I want to get some clown loaches for my future monster tank. I want a large shoal so that they are active and fun to watch. I'm looking at getting 15 or so 1.5" monsters from Bioaquatix. The company looks pretty legit from what I can find and they have good reviews on aquabid.com. Has anyone had any interaction with them? They say that all of the fish they breed are tank bread and raised. Sounds promising. I would think that would make it safer to buy smaller loaches because then I wouldn't have to worry about internal parasites. I would put them in a 54 corner aquarium for the next few months until I move to our more permanent house and get my "big boy job". I would than set them up in my 120 that i currently have in storage. Would the loaches be ok in the 54 gal with 7 corry cats (emerald and albino), 2 BN plecos, 6 hatchet fish, and 6 assorted tetras with a rena filstar xp-3 filter? Would this end up over stocking my tank? How long could I safely keep them in this tank until they outgrew it? How long could i keep them in the 120? How big of a tank would that many full grown clown loaches need? Thank you all for taking the time to read this and respond. I know I asked a lot of questions. ;)

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
IMO if you want to do the right thing for your clowns and keep them growing then you'll want to put them in a 4' long tank from day one, then move them into a 6'+ tank around the time they hit 4" (no harm in doing it sooner!). Length is every bit as important as overall gallons, they are fast active fish and need plenty of length for swimming, along with a good amount of flow and warm well oxygenated water. IMO a 4' 55g would be an ok start, but I'm not sure your corner aquarium will give them enough space in the long run, so upgrading to that 6'er would be more of a priority.

I think the boisterous nature of the clowns and warm temperature wouldn't be ideal for the corys, but other than that I don't see too many problems with the other fish. You many want to add another filter, or a powerhead to provide more circulation/

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
Ok. Thanks for the info David. Yeah Joe it's a rarity but the ones on the website look pretty good. Lol. They even have a vid up of the clown loach fry. I don't think they would ship very well at that size but I've been wrong before and will be again. Heck I could see fry being easier to ship. don't know much about it tho.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Breeding clown loaches without the use of hormones is such a rarity. Surprised that they didn't document it. Got a link to the video, couldn't find it on their website?

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I just came across that listing on aquabid tonite. Saw they claimed tank born tank raised Clown Loaches. That struck my interest so I went to there site saw the pictures of there Clown fry. I then just did a search on Breeding Clown loaches cause I never heard of anyone doing it to see if they have been documented anywhere about there breeding success. No where nothing about BioAquatix breeding Clown loaches. Only found 2 other old old cases of breeding one done with hormones the other done just by chance but it was documented in Practical Fish Keeping magazine. I'm sure they want to keep there method a secret if there having success breeding them naturally.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I just came across that listing on aquabid tonite. Saw they claimed tank born tank raised Clown Loaches. That struck my interest so I went to there site saw the pictures of there Clown fry. I then just did a search on Breeding Clown loaches cause I never heard of anyone doing it to see if they have been documented anywhere about there breeding success. No where nothing about BioAquatix breeding Clown loaches. Only found 2 other old old cases of breeding one done with hormones the other done just by chance but it was documented in Practical Fish Keeping magazine. I'm sure they want to keep there method a secret if there having success breeding them naturally.
A secret? Fish probably came from Asia or the Czech Republic. LOL!

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
From what I see on this site I believe they are breeding them. Not consistently but I believe they are breeding them in limited numbers naturally enough to sell them. I still think there developing there techniques still trying to hone in the triggers but definitely have F1 and F2 CL.

http://www.bioaquatix.com/blog.py

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store