Flying Fox alternative

blinkmaster

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2007
from the MOON
What are some good alternative for Siamese Algae Eater. I cant seem to find any Siamese Algae Eater locally. I need something to trim those Black beard algae down. Would balloon Molly work?

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
Nothing really likes bba. My suggestion for you is to pick up some flourish excell, do a large water change add the correct dosage and cut your lights down by a couple hours

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com

urs4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
central mass.
Just to clarify Flying Foxes and Siamese Algae Eaters are two completely different fish. Flying Foxes don't eat algae

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fw&1392915518

These are labeled as Flying Foxes but if they are the fish in the picture there SAE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pack-of-...261330156616?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item3cd87dbc48
Flying Foxes eat algae.....In fact they cleared my tank of BBA when I had an issue with it.
I've sat and watched them tear away at it.....

Steve

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
Flying Foxes eat algae.....In fact they cleared my tank of BBA when I had an issue with it.
I've sat and watched them tear away at it.....

Steve
Nope you didn't have a Flying Fox you had Siamese Algae Eaters sold to you as Flying Fox's.

Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus the same family as the Redtail shark and Rainbow shark. Do these fish eat algae? have they ever been known to eat algae? do people buy these sharks cause they eat algae..

urs4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
central mass.
Nope you didn't have a Flying Fox you had Siamese Algae Eaters sold to you as Flying Fox's.

Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus the same family as the Redtail shark and Rainbow shark. Do these fish eat algae? have they ever been known to eat algae? do people buy these sharks cause they eat algae..

You have no idea what your talking about!

after 30 years in this hobby I think I know what a SFF is and how to tell them apart from an SAE.

I don't know if the rest of the family eat algae but SFF do...............
Steve

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
YES, those sharks love algae. So do SAE's, so do Flying Foxes. So do mollies. Almost ALL fish enjoy algae as a snack, at least.
After 30 years in the hobby, what are you calling a "SFF" ?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
No matter which fish you have, or what you are talking about, they ALL enjoy algae.

SAE's also have a sucker mouth, whereas the foxes do not. If you have seen both, they are immediately recognizable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store