Purigen Advice.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I have a plan using 1 lb of Purigen after I recharge it all up tonight!

I have 4 Fish Tanks and wanted to run the Purigen in each tank separately. So every week I would chang the Purigen from tank to tank? I figure that will help clean up the tanks but not absorb all the essential nutrients?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
1) Why not just put 1/4th in each tank and leave it. Saves time and effort and will produce the same result after 1 month. (Actually, putting 1/4th in each would be better probably, since each tank will get to have Purigen immediately.)
2) Exactly which nutrients are you concerned it will adsorb?

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
1) Why not just put 1/4th in each tank and leave it. Saves time and effort and will produce the same result after 1 month. (Actually, putting 1/4th in each would be better probably, since each tank will get to have Purigen immediately.)
2) Exactly which nutrients are you concerned it will adsorb?
Thanks man it was something I read on a saltwater website and it seemed to make sense to me since it absorbs so much stuff. I could be wrong so thanks for letting me know. I just finished soaking the Purigen in a big vase and used 8% clorox probably a little more bleach then water. The Purigen is white now. My plan is to strain it into bags and rinse well in tab water then pour purigen back into vase and fill with water, then add SAFE 1 teaspoon and let soak a few hours and then do it again.
Then bag it up and add to my tanks and treat tank with SAFE also.

Anything I am missing in my steps let me know please! I was thinking to add more SAFE since I bought a big container of it.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Yes, SW fish and iirc especially the reef animals use a lot of the trace minerals in the salt water. SW has a lot more of those minerals and to a much larger degree than most sources of fresh water, so removing trace elements is often not good for SW pets. Using Purigen in FW tanks does not seem to be a problem for anyone, and iirc there were posts where Seachem said the effect on Purigen to trace minerals would be negligible for FW fish.

I don't have the instructions in front of me, but those sound like the last ones I read on the Seachem site. I don't have experience with SAFE, but follow the directions exactly (don't do more or less than they advise) and you should be fine. Seachem directions seem to err on the side of safety....its better to spend an extra 50 cents than lose fish....so I'd do what they say.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store