Anyone use a water to water heat exchanger in their fish room to maintain water temp?

Recumbent

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
San Diego
My fish room is around 2000 gallons on a common sump system. My water aging tank is 530 gallons which I use twice a week. My 40 gallon gas water heater needs to be drained 3 times to bring 400 gallons up to the proper temperature in the winter which takes about 2 hours. So I'm going to put in a tankless continuous system or a 75 gallon high input water heater to speed things up. I don't have room in my fish room for the aging tank but in San Diego the cost of my gas is only $20/month even in the winter. So the cost of heating the water is not a problem. The big cost is an extra $100 a month to keep the water warm in the fish room. What I was wondering is should I put in a circulating pump with a water to water heat exchanger (perhaps a spa type) in my sump and get rid of my 1500 watts of heaters? Gas would cost <25% as much as electricity. Has anyone here done this? Any experiences would be appreciated.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
There are people that do that and it does pay off. However you should look into the tankless heater specs, if you are running them non stop like that I don't think they work as well. If you are doing a hot water loop may be better off with the current tank water heater.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
Is the fish room insulated enough to just heat the room? That's what I do and the water I age is the temperature as the tank water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store