New aquarium? Any tips?

LivingForTheFuture

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2009
Colorado
So I got this 120 gallon aquarium, and it has halide lights in it and was wondering if that is bad to freshwater fish, Another thing I wanted to know is do you absolutely have to cycle your aquarium for a month for the water to be any good, because I bought a few angel fish that look like marbals. I used tetra aqua safe + plus and freshwater aquarium salt, they are eating and moving around the tank normally so I don't think they are sick or don't like the water. Let me knowIMG_0734.JPGIMG_0735.JPGIMG_0731.JPGIMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
So I got this 120 gallon aquarium, and it has halide lights in it and was wondering if that is bad to freshwater fish, Another thing I wanted to know is do you absolutely have to cycle your aquarium for a month for the water to be any good, because I bought a few angel fish that look like marbals. I used tetra aqua safe + plus and freshwater aquarium salt, they are eating and moving around the tank normally so I don't think they are sick or don't like the water. Let me knowView attachment 991208View attachment 991209View attachment 991210View attachment 991211
Do you know how to cycle tanks? Since you already put the fish in there, dose the tank with Stress enzyme for a week. When you cycle tanks, it means you get the types of bacteria that eat ammonia from the fishes poop and breaks it into nitrites, and bacteria that eat nitrites and break it down to nitrates. If a tank isn't cycle and fish are put in, they won't feel bad at first, but as their feces builds up they will start suffering due to the ammonia.

1. Cycling a tank should be a must. Can you bypass it, i guess so.
2. Those lights are expensive to run and create a lot of heat.
3. I'm guessing what you have there is a former reef tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store