Gar KILLING arowana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I just put my 10.5" arowana in my 220 gallon about an hour ago. Nobody even noticed... Then my 12" gar started checking him out... He nipped him 2 times in his orange tip tail! (No ripped fins...) but that was about 30 minutes in... Now he just checks him out and hovers near his tail when it moves... Seems like reaction bites to me... Can a florida gar cause serious harm to him? Should i move him back!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Alright... The gar keeps nipping his tail... It is not torn though... I think it is just a reaction bit when it flashes by... Is he ok?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
You are probably correct, the silver colored long fish looks like a feeder to the gar. By the looks of the pic's the aro is too large to be eaten by the gar so i personally wouldn't worry too much. I would just feed well for the next couple weeks so the gar is less tempted and in that time the silver will quickly outgrow that gar and stop looking like food.

In person you have a better view , so imagine the gar hollowed out, if you think the arowana could fit into it then you may want to separate them,Gars can swallow surprisingly large prey at times, I've seen small gars eat each other at almost the same size or try to.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
You are probably correct, the silver colored long fish looks like a feeder to the gar. By the looks of the pic's the aro is too large to be eaten by the gar so i personally wouldn't worry too much. I would just feed well for the next couple weeks so the gar is less tempted and in that time the silver will quickly outgrow that gar and stop looking like food.

In person you have a better view , so imagine the gar hollowed out, if you think the arowana could fit into it then you may want to separate them,Gars can swallow surprisingly large prey at times, I've seen small gars eat each other at almost the same size or try to.
But i am afraid if the gar hits the arowana in his body by accident it will harm him... But, i mean other peoples dithers get hit all the time and survive... So lets say the gar hits the arowana in his body/face with his teeth, will it kill him/ cause permanent damage? There is NO way he can swallow the arowana. My gar will not even eat silversides... He grabs one and plays with it then spits it out cause it is to big...

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
My gars bite my aros tails frequently. I like my monster aggressive fish so I just deal with it. If you are looking for a perfect aro, get rid of the gar and the knife and throw in a bunch of community fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store