BEST CANISTER FILTER or Fix FX5?

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
Hey guys I have had FX5`s since I got into the hobby, I love them. I am having a lot of problems with one taking on air and when I unplug it it purges out the air but like 30 seconds or more. To some 30 seconds doesn't seem like a lot but when you are under the tank and waiting for it to purge all out it is a lot of air in there. On top of it the flow that should be coming out of it is no where as much as it should be. My 220 gal is not being filtered like it should (cloudy a bit). I am curious of any suggestions on how to fix this FX5 or Any suggestions on a new canister that will do as good as and FX5 ?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I've just recently sold all my canisters including 6 last night in favor of sumps. Just based on energy efficiency and ease of maintenance alone I grew tired of cans.

I built a 75 glass sump that moves 2400 gph for the cost of 2 fx5's without media. Just some food for thought....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
What jc said. At that size of a tank it would be beneficial to have a sump if you don't already have one. If you got one already then I would suggest an eheim 2262....beast of a filter

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
What jc said. At that size of a tank it would be beneficial to have a sump if you don't already have one. If you got one already then I would suggest an eheim 2262....beast of a filter
I dot have a sump yet I have been thinking about it a while now. I am wondering do sumps give off bad smells at all ? And I am not totally sure how to go about it like string up a sump ?

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
See I'm stuck with this. I would like to just fix the fx5 rather than spend more money. But I would be so upset and mad if I buy new parts for the fx5 and it doesn't fix it grrrr.

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
Nice setup :) My tank is a 220 gallon DSC05041.JPG

DSC05041.JPG

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Eheims are the the best canisters if you want to stick with canisters. 2 2217s are the same price as 1 fx5 and they come with media. Ofcourse you will probably need more than 2. Sumps are usually preferred on bigger tanks and a used 55g tank should be cheap on craigslist

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store