Do you use an airstone? Why or why not?

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
I have not historically used airstones in my tanks...just canister flitration with the return agitating the surface which seems to create sufficient gas exchange. But I have lately been considering whether I should add a big airstone with a powerful air pump so I would appreciate those of you who have an opinion on this sharing in this thread.

raj914

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
Philippines
I use it in my tank only because the return is not enough to agitate the surface. Do you mind sharing how many gallons is your tank?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I use a pondmaster ap-100 pump with 10 airstones in my sump. maximum aeration and oxygenation. Fluidizes the K1 chamber great.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; I have used air stones a long time for a few reasons. The main reason being spotty reliability of the various power filters over the decades. They are better now but were prone to lose siphon or fail in some way for a long time. Some of the early types would lose siphon several times a week. The bubblers have kept tanks going for me.
The bubbles aid in both breaking the surface film and generating some current in the water.
I like the way they look.

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
I have a few, running or not at various times; biggest is 220 but it is not running right now.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
I dont because I've never had a need to, plus I feel the noise would drive me batty... I do use a venturi on my internal filter though

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
I use to and don't anymore I feel it's unnecessary for the fish I keep and dont see a need for it with all the water changes and the jets from my outtake on the filter that agitates the whole surface I've never had an issue with needing one

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store