New pups - Hystrix x Aparicio (Ocellata) hybrids

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Woke up this morning to find 3 pups!!!

The father is a true Hystrix and the mother an Aparicio (Ocellata). I don't know how long she was pregnant, but she was pretty big in early December when I posted a thread. Felt like it took forever, but it was worth it, the pups look great. I've already figured out how to tell them apart, but I didn't have time/ability to sex them yet. Tonight I'll put in a divider to keep them separate from the rest of the tank.

I was about 2 hours late to work since I was checking on them and taking pics. Unfortunately it was morning so the light wasn't on and the morning sun was causing some glare, but these pics turned out OK. You can see hints of each parent but I think the Hystrix traits come through most. It will be really interesting to see how the patterns develop over time.

And now for the pics.

I call this pup J since he has a reverse J on the side of his disk:
pup-j1.jpg

pup-j2.jpg

This pup is called spotty since he has lots of spots all over his body, including good clean reverse spots:
pup-s1.jpg

pup-s2.jpg

And this pup looked smaller than the other two so I call him runty. He also likes to hide in the corner/back so he was hard to get a shot of:
pup-r1.jpg

J and spotty together:
pups-j1-s1.jpg

J and spotty getting photobombed by dad:
pups- j1-s1-dad.jpg

Runty with both parents:
pup-r1-mom-dad.jpg

Good pic to show size difference between dad and pup:
pup-dad.jpg

If I'm able to get better pics tonight I'll add them to this thread.

pup-j1.jpg

pup-j2.jpg

pup-s1.jpg

pup-s2.jpg

pup-r1.jpg

pups-j1-s1.jpg

pups- j1-s1-dad.jpg

pup-r1-mom-dad.jpg

pup-dad.jpg

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Congrats, you have most likely produced the first hybrid of this kind. They do favor hystrix a bunch. I have seen hystrix x Motoro and those pups had lots of hystrix showing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
man that is great, i am jealous. I tried for years to get a hybrid out of my hystrix with motoro. Im glad it worked out for you!

They look amazing, wish i had a place to put one and i would be inquiring about one :)
I bet you already have them sold, if not after this post is seen im sure they will go quick, if your selling.
Please keep us updated!

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Brilliant! I have been looking forward to seeing these pups! Beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yes Sam...me too!

These are absolutely beautiful little critters and yes they do carry so much of the traits we love in Hystrix.

I honestly thought she would have 6 pups, she was huge!! these pups must be very substantial.

Congratulations and very well done!

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Thanks for the kind words everybody! I didn't do any of the hard work, just provided a big tank and some Barry White to help the mood along :)

It's so exciting, these are my first pups so I'm really happy. Believe me, nobody wanted to see how they turned out more than me. It was a long wait.

I do believe these are the first of their kind hybrids since Aparicio are somewhat rare. I'm curious to see if the Hystrix markings stay dominant once they get older. I'll update the post with more/better pics when I can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store