New tank 96x30x36 drilling and filtration advice

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
Hi all, i am in the process of upgrading and am getting quotes. For a 96X30X36 tank i have specified 4X75mm for a 63mm tank connector (approx 2 1/2") for drains and 2X60mm for 50mm connectors (approx 2") for returns. I plan to have two weirs with two drillings in each in order to use one in each on full syphon with another in each as a safety measure. Does this seem correct? Also will the 50mm returns be adequate to provide sufficient turnover?
Not even thought about sump size and pumps yet, but i will probably use a drip system on this tank.

Cheers

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Returns are awfully big, haven't noticed any pumps with a return larger than 1.5". If you are running multiple returns you're better off with multiple pumps whch will decrease pump and return size.

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I'll look at the return sizes of the pumps I'm thinking of. Can anyone recommend some suitanle return pumps. Looming for something nice and quiet. Would 2 eheim 1262s be suitable?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Eheim 1262's have a rating of 900GPH at 0 head so at around 5' head after all your plumbing it might be closer to half that, lets say 500GPH each. Total of 1000 GPH. On a 450 gallon tank thats a turnover rate of 2'. Probably much too low, it would be for me. Loaches like a good current in your tank so I would look at much more powerful pumps. I would shoot for anywhere from a turnover rate of 5x to 10x for that tank. Also, I think there is no need to go that big with your return and drain sizes. That is VERY big and you will end up paying a lot more for your bulkheads and valves. I'd recommend 2" for the drains and 1'5" for the returns.

A few pumps that might be good for you. Check out the Laguna Maxflo 2900, Reeflo Dart, Coralvue Water Blaster

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
Thanks for that info, didn't factor in the cost of larger plumbing

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store