Keeping multiple dats together

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Im not super experienced with Dats. I have one so i was wondering if anyone has input on housing several dats together.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Im not super experienced with Dats. I have one so i was wondering if anyone has input on housing several dats together.
Multiple dats has never worked for me. They love to bully each other either right away or years down the line (which affects feedings and personality). It just seemed there was always a least one in the tank that wasn't successful whether i had 2 or 10. Generally if your dat is aggressive, outgoing and pretty much runs the tank, 1 is smart imo. What kind of dat you got? How big?

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Multiple dats has never worked for me. They love to bully each other either right away or years down the line (which affects feedings and personality). It just seemed there was always a least one in the tank that wasn't successful whether i had 2 or 10. Generally if your dat is aggressive, outgoing and pretty much runs the tank, 1 is smart imo. What kind of dat you got? How big?
Pretty sure its an IT. Mine keeps to him self, hides out quite a bit, but holds down his fort when others come around. He is the smallest fish in the tank. Prob 4" or so.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Are you thinking about more dats to try to make the other one more active or are you just wanting to see more dat numbers in your tank?
More just to have a mixture of dats. I like them they're interesting fish. I transferred 2 additional fish into the main tank with him and now he is very interactive and stable. He likes the Pbass i added. Lol

adr_93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
coral springs, florida
At times I wish I only kept it at one datnoid because he was always 100% stable as mentioned above.

But I added three more and one always bullied the smaller three. At first it was 24/7 constant aggresion but now after three months they all get along fine. Idk if they just suddenly become friends or the red severum I added calmed them down. And I notice they all become stable with the tank lights off room lights on and when im near the tank.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've been lucky with my current batch of indos.They seem to go unstable for a short time when a new one is added but once they get used to one another they all stable up nicely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store