Aquarium Rack

abiancaniello

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
New Jersey
Dont know if this is in the correct place, I will delete once I get some info.

I am looking into getting a metal rack or shelving for some aquariums. Maybe 3-4 shevles, largest tank that would be on shevles is about 125. just curious as to where is a good place to look for these selves or racks. I have seen a bunch online, but not sure if they are strong enough, I def want metal. Anyone know of a good place to find em? home depot? lowes? etc? im in NJ.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Racks that say they hold that much weight are likely inappropriate for aquariums. A 125 will weigh about 1,250 lbs, and while the shelf might hold it without collapsing, the shelf will also bend. Bending means stress on the tank and that is bad. The racks are rated to hold the weight, but not necessarily to hold it with close to zero deflection.

I'd be careful before taking those shelves as adequate. If you go that way, you will likely need shelves rated for far above the aquarium weights.

Home Depot will probably not carry the ones you want. After you try them, look up industrial storage shelves, or heavy duty steel shelves. Keep in mind too that many of these shelves were designed to be bolted to walls or to concrete floors.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
A friend of mine got some nice metal shelving at Costco. Really nice and sturdy, but not cheap. Don't know about a 125, but he does have a 90 plus another tank on an eight foot section with no deflection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store