Sex my jaguar

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
So I picked him/her up last week to pair with my female. I bought it from a local who breeds jags from his apartment. He told me it was a male jag about 6-7". Picked him up for $15 which was a steal for me. Lfs were asking $40-$50 for that size. Only thing I didn't like was he was fed strictly feeder fish. Anyways threw both the male and female in my 100 established tank. Just the 2 of them. They did they're thing and sure enough a few days after my female laid eggs. Then things got kind of weird. After she laid the eggs the next day my female was really scared of him. She was hiding up top in the corner for the next 2 days. Then the tables turned and she was after him. But from the looks of it was just nudging. No missing fins or anything like that. The eggs ended up being bad. Someone in the breeding sectioned mention I might have another female. Here's a couple of pics of him/her. And also my female. Please let me know what you all think. Thank you

PS I know the light colored yellow jag is a female. When she was laying her eggs I can see her tube sticking out pretty far. The dark colored one was but barely.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1392982211630.jpg

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
You do have a male and female....my opinion....being that they are still a newly established pair it may take more than one attempt before they are raising fry.....and then problems may still arise....the first time with mine the male became hyper aggressive after the fry became free swimming....the next time the female was the aggressor... I placed a divider in at those times to keep the damage from being too severe... their latest spawn was not successful but they are getting along like yours well enough without a divider... You may want to get one just in case though... Also one way of knowing that I have wigglers is at the males color gets darker and pattern changes similar to that of the females....my tank (120gal) is around size of what yours are in.... Very nice pair you have good luck.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
You do have a male and female....my opinion....being that they are still a newly established pair it may take more than one attempt before they are raising fry.....and then problems may still arise....the first time with mine the male became hyper aggressive after the fry became free swimming....the next time the female was the aggressor... I placed a divider in at those times to keep the damage from being too severe... their latest spawn was not successful but they are getting along like yours well enough without a divider... You may want to get one just in case though... Also one way of knowing that I have wigglers is at the males color gets darker and pattern changes similar to that of the females....my tank (120gal) is around size of what yours are in.... Very nice pair you have good luck.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks all. Just wanted to be sure. Yeah, it was really weird. Even though the spawn was not successful he all of a sudden was being aggressive but not in anyway of hurting her. More of like nudging her to lay more eggs. That lasted a few days but I was keeping a close eye on her if it was going to get serious. Then all of a sudden it switched. She was being Hyper on him. He was really scared of her and was just laying at the bottom of the tank. He did however change to a dark color. Now they are not bothering each other.

I was wondering where I can get a divider big enough for my 100 gallon? I read you can custom make them but don't know what materials are needed to make it. Also, how much feeder fish do I feed them in one day and how many days until I feed them feeder fish again? Thanks Cic and the rest for verifying my male. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
A few folks cut up light diffuser egg crates from lowes or home depot and cut to fit to the tank size. They are about $12 a sheet

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Can someone say how they know its a male? I don't know how to sex Jags I am trying to learn. I thought only females have the black spots going down the side. When giving advice on sexing other fish I always tell how I know they are M or F.

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
Can someone say how they know its a male? I don't know how to sex Jags I am trying to learn. I thought only females have the black spots going down the side. When giving advice on sexing other fish I always tell how I know they are M or F.
I've heard that to River. I've also heard how the rear fins are shaped. I could be wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store