What happened to my geo and what do I use to help him

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
So I've been sick with a bad cold for last couple days in bed hopped up on nyquil. After paying no mind to my tank for 2 days I get outta bed check my tanks and my 10" geo's head is damaged. It seems to be a deep hole the size of a dime with cotton like growth on it. I have a lot of driftwood one piece thats branchy with several points. Only conclusion I came up with is he swam quite fast with force into the wood. I added salt anything else I should use? Some crappy cell pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1392990966635.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1392990993414.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1392991018716.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Could be an injury that had started to fungus.
There are plenty of fungal treatments available at LFSs.
Salt sometimes helps, but some fungus is halo-tolerant so best to get an available treatment.
You could also swab the area with iodine, but if catching the fish is difficult, and too stressful, more harm than good can be the result.
There are diseases that mimic fungus, and a bit hard to tell from the photos, but the way its described, injury becoming fungal is probable.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
I just got home and its twice as worse and twice as big...is this an extreme case of HITH? He's lost his bright colors and scales look like they're falling off.

uploadfromtaptalk1393035076432.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393035152979.jpg

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Need help ASAP....Can anyone identify this so I know how to treat? this is one of my favorite fish. Im going to petland first thing tomorrow to buy a 20-30gallon hospital tank. Just need to know what meds to get....the wound is a little bigger than a quarter and seems to be pushed inwards. He swimming freely but isnt eating:(

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
hith doesn't go from 0 to 90 in 2 days.
that is something acute, with such rapid progress & his scales "look like they're falling off" the wound+fungus probably also has become a systemic bacterial infection.
post all your parameters: amm, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp, & if you know kh/gh so hopefully Tom can advise you on medication options. different waters needs diff meds.
To start off, a thorough water change may be in order (whichever tank he will be treated in).

edit: ok, so you have no QT yet, can you partition him off from others in tank to let him have peace until tomorrow?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'll try to help you but need params ASAP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store