Taste of The Wild Salmon Dog food as fish food

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
Hey Guys, So I've been buying Salmon taste of the wild dog food for my bulldog and started looking at the ingredients. Salmon is the main ingredient and it's grain free. To me the ingredients seemed better than most fish foods. I threw some in the tank and my lion fish actually ate a few, which is the first pellet he's taken too, I just want to make sure it's a safe food. Thinking about using it as a main staple if it's safe. My only concern would be how it pollutes the water if uneaten, but if I remove uneaten pellets this shouldn't be a concern. At $50 for a 30lb bag it's an expensive dog food but a steal for fish food. Thoughts?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Too oily IMO.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Dog food is way cheaper than fish food because there is more competition. If there were as many people buying 50 lb bags of fish (instead of 5oz bottles) prices would go way way down. So get the word out!!

I'm sure it's fine for treats but as a staple I'm thinking the vitamin additives will be off for what fish need and the fat will be too high.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Just because not many people buy it, is NOT why it's more expensive. The cost is based on the process of making the food, and the cost of ingredients, etc etc etc etc.

It's fine as a snack or supplement - variety is always good - but there are lots of cheap, good fish foods. Ken's fish food, for example is super cheap for what you get, and it's not a bad food at all.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Better to buy some fresh salmon.. keep a piece for the fish and you eat the rest

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I love that brand for my dogs. They use good ingredients and my dogs allergies are all cleared up after switching. Often kibble will fall into their water bowl and leave a oily film. Not cool IMO for fish tank, maybe pond fish. Shrug

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
Good input guys, I'm on the same page.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The up side is maybe your Lion fish will go after pellets now.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Dog food is designed for dogs. NOT for fish.

The problem with most dog food, including this brand, is that it is typically too high in fat for tropical fish kept in captivity. This brand, like most, is also high in the wrong type of fat (Omega 6) and low in the correct type of fat (Omega 3) especially for a SW fish such as a V. lionfish. Many fish won't do well on fat such as Canola Oil, especially marine species. SW fish will do very poorly on any type of fat derived from terrestrial based plants.

Also, while this food may be "grain free", the 3rd, 4th, and 8th ingredients (quite possibly the 1st or second ingredient when combined?) is POTATOES. I do not know of a single species of fish on the planet that consumes POTATOES in its natural environment, and again, it's a terrestrial based food, that is very high in STARCH.

This is why fish eat fish food, dogs eat dog foods, and cats eat cat food. If you don't understand the science behind commercial foods you're far better off letting the animal nutritionists do the math for you.

Ingredients
Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Crude Protein 25.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 15.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.4% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com