Help Me Convince Parents!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I am 15 and live with my parents. We have a small-medium ranch style house. First floor and a basement. I have been trying to get a tegu for awhile but my parents are saying that my current animals smell to bad and introducing a new large 3-5 foot lizard is not going to help. All I have is a ton of fish tanks (duh) 2 bearded dragons and 2 guinea pigs... Any tips on stopping the dragons and fish from smelling so bad? My parents are scared to pick up my harmless bearded dragons so it may take awhile... :D but i know they will eventually come around... Hopefully... Tegus are like a medium sized dog the way they interact and beg for food...
Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
There's no reason any of those animals should smell as long as they're being maintained properly. I have had multiple fish tanks, multiple reptiles as well as a large colony of rats(one of the smellier rodents) all at the same time when I lived with my parents and smell was never an issue. I also had a job that fully supported my hobby at the time including paying a portion of the rent and utilities, my own food and all products that my animals needed.

If you want to convince your parents to let you get another animal first up your maintenance on the animals you already have till the smell is no longer an issue. Then see about getting working papers so you can get a job so at very least maybe you can cover any expenses your pets incur. Trust me heaters, lights, filters and water changes can wind up costing quite a bit for your parents never mind any food or other products they pay for so you can have pets. These all burdens that you may not realize your putting on your parents because you might think just feeding them and cleaning up after your pets is the only burdens associated with them. If you care about your pets and your parents think more about what you can do to get what you want instead of just asking your parents for more pets. Earn what you want and you'll find it's all the more rewarding and you'll appreciate what you do have more.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Instead of "I want, I want", how about being happy with what you're parents have already more than generously given you....which is a lot more than what most parents would even considered. So, consider yourself already extremely fortunate.

If you want "more", than get yourself a good education and career and pay for it yourself, housing it under your own roof.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I used to think "man I can't wait till I'm out from under my parents and can do whatever I want".

Then I got married.

My advice. Get a tegu in between moving out from your parents and getting married.

I also agree with the previous posters. You seem like you have plenty of pets, just spend more time with what you have instead of more more more.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
^ my room is 7x16 (aka the size of some peoples walk in closets) and i have 4 fish tanks and a water snake in here. The only time anyone can smell anything is while im feeding and thats just because hikari carni pellets are STRONG smelling. Or when i leave the bag open on accident, i get an earful from the girl for that one

Id hold off on the lizard-dog if you cant keep your other animals, which im guessing the main source of smell is the guinea pigs (ive never been near a guineas cage that didnt smell just a little when you were right up next to it) so keep up cleaning on that more then anything. I had a bearded for a while until my sister was playing with it and it ran, met my coydog (dog w/ some coyote in him) in the living room and got eaten. he never smelled

Also, if this tegu does get out before its tamed it could cause a good amount of damage to your other pets, it could totally kill your guineas, maybe even a fat lazy housecat. Hell even your parents could get a bite that needs stitches

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Congratulations on going from 12 to 15 in just a few months time. Pretty impressive!

I agree with the others. As long as you live under your parents roof you gotta just go with what they say. When you move out, you can do what you want.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store