Snakes and lizards for a Colorado outdoor aviary?

rudukai13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Colorado
I'm somewhat curious about whether or not something like this would work..Is anyone aware of a few species of medium to large sized snakes or lizards that would thrive in an outdoor aviary in Colorado year-round? I was thinking possibly a native species would work best but most still seem to avoid the parts of Colorado where it snows or gets much below freezing - staying mostly to the plains and rocky foothill areas.

So I guess what I'm looking for is suggestions of species that would live well in an outdoor aviary-type enclosure, with conditions regulated by the natural Colorado seasons. I'd generally prefer larger more impressive species than smaller counterparts, considering an aviary would provide so much space.

The main idea behind this would be to create a relatively self-maintaining enclosure for the animal - use natural sunlight, natural wind for ventilation, bury the floor of the aviary somewhat into the ground for a naturally regulating substrate that includes native micro-fauna and natural plant growth, etc. My biggest concern though is finding a reptile that would be able to survive the snow and below-freezing temperatures. Obviously I'd build a few hides into the enclosure for the animal to be able to escape the conditions if it wanted to, but even with that my main concern would be the temperature fluctuations.

So..Thoughts?

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Black racers, black rat snakes and various types of garters are some types of snakes I see making it through the winters here in NJ.
I suppose what your thinking of doing is possible, but getting them through a long cold colorado winter could be tricky, but I wouldn't think impossible, probably alot of trial and error involved, and a few frozen snakes.
I guess alot of it would depend on how good you are as a keeper, you know, giving them what they need, as they are no longer wild, and they cannot pick and choose were they want to winter over, they can only use what you provide.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
you will probably need to put in A heater. Some sp. wouldn't need it, but its best to provide a choice

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
look into native species. Not many cold blooded animals will make it through a CO winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store