Water change advice from the LFS. What do you think?

dledinger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2013
North Carolina
A customer posted on my LFS's facebook asking when they should change their water, and received this in response:

"It does depend on the size of the tank, what and how much you have in it and how much you're feeding. If you're testing your water regularly, you can keep a close eye on when a water change is necessary. I have a 92 gallon reef at home with about 15 fish in it. I feed every other night and it gets a water change every 30-45 days, which, under normal circumstances that's what we usually recommend. The tanks in the shop, however, because I have so much livestock in and out, I gravel vac and do a water change every 2 weeks. Some are worse than others, but that's the routine I've adapted and it seems to work for me. I don't recommend changing more than 20 % at any given time though. Hope that helps."

What do you think?

Saltwater is a different bag, so I can't comment.

The ideal freshwater regime would be 100 per cent water changes per day. Since that's not realistic unless you have a constant drip etc, then the best advice is try and do as many water changes as your time will allow, and will allow to become routine.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Saltwater has bugs and critters in live sand that break down nitrates and waste organics. Freshwater does not. They also use protein skimmers to take out a lot of organics, which don't work in freshwater. You can't really compare the two (assuming you are asking about once a month wc in freshwater).

I have read about heavily stocked saltwater tanks that do 20% water changes every 6 months, the kind of bio load that would need a 75% weekly wc in freshwater.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dledinger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2013
North Carolina
Don't get too wrapped up on the saltwater part. The question did not specify, but I believe the OP was asking about freshwater tropicals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store