Schooling fish for moderate-heavy planted tank?

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
I'm thinking of replacing my filament barbs as they would have a lunch out of most of my plants (even my amazon swords). Right now I've had to place all my soft leaved plants onto my 30g and grow them back due to them becoming lunch for my filaments. I'm considering giant danios as replacements for my filaments or anything that reaches at least 4-6 inches (due to my other habitants on my 160g). I might even take a risk to consider a large school of Tiger Barbs (although gotta make sure first that they won't touch plants) and give it a shot even with the RTG, IT Dat and Delhezi roaming around my tank. I know that they are fin nippers but having a large school will at least get things going on my tank. I wish I can train SDs to not eat my plants (just a dream lol).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Yup already have 9 of those. Forgot to specifically mention that I'm looking around for mid-level schooling fish.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Can you post a pic of the tank? And what other plants do you have?

I'm not sure if anyone else has had the same experience... my clown loaches uprooted a bunch of plants; water sprite, water lettuce and wisteria and bronze wendtii.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
CONGO TETRAS!! BEAUTIFUL FISH! My dad has 6 full grown 6" males in his 75 gallon!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Can you post a pic of the tank? And what other plants do you have?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'll try to get a pic up later. Currently in the 160g tank, I have some Jungle Vals, Amazon Swords, 1 unknown plant, a crypt (given to me by a plant seller for free when I bought some rosanervigs), water wysteria (this grew crazy on my 30g but is starting to lose the fight vs the filament barbs lol), anubias, java fern and pothos roots.

On the 30g, Water Wysteria, Moneywort, Tall Hairgrass, American Valls, Narrow leaf Chain swords, red ludwigia, and Rotala.

I'm planning to move the plants on the 30g onto the 160g once I replace my filaments.

I think with the clown loaches, proper positioning of the plants is key to get them to thrive as they don't like plants on a certain area where they hide. I'll be willing to use some rocks/heavy gravel/plant weights to make sure they don't uproot my plants. Right now though, i don't have issues with them uprooting my plants.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
CONGO TETRAS!! BEAUTIFUL FISH! My dad has 6 full grown 6" males in his 75 gallon!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I got 8 of them in my 75 (link in my signature) :p

I also like rainbow fish and pearl gouramis, but I really want to see more people keep thread fin rainbows and emperor tetras. Green neons are also pretty sweet, and there are so many pretty nano-fish I can't even begin to list them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store